locating

grunt_doc

locating

Postby grunt_doc » May 2nd, 2008, 10:26 am

Do any of you guys have the problem of the birds NOT sounding off to a locator call?  I can't get a shock gobble to save my life.  I have no idea where they are roosting, so I have just planted myself on the edge of a plowed corn field.  Been working so far, but I would at least like to know where they roost.  Any ideas?

Doc

multibeard

RE: locating

Postby multibeard » May 2nd, 2008, 1:48 pm

Lately here in Michigan I have had poor luck getting birds to gobble on the roost with any of my locator calls. Two weeks ago I located 15+ birds on my normal route. The last three times I have made the run I have had trouble getting a couple of the toms to respond. Even then it would be only one half hearted gobble.

I hope it is the weather we have been having, frosty mornings. I start my season on the 5th of May. The nice part is I have untill May 31 to find a bird that wants to commit suicide. Mayby they will respond to my box call when I finally get to hunt. I never carry a turkey call with me until I am actually hunting.

swpatrkyhunter

RE: locating

Postby swpatrkyhunter » May 2nd, 2008, 3:12 pm

Use different calls to locate tough birds.Living in south western Pa the easterns here can be a little hard to locate at times. When a crow call don't work I will use  woodpecker, red hawk, coyote, etc... calls. When roosting if an owl call don't work a coyote call will sometimes do the trick. Good luck.

Return to New York