Are the turkys still gobbling???

turkeyflopper

Are the turkys still gobbling???

Postby turkeyflopper » May 13th, 2008, 5:13 pm

Went out this morning in Western NY and didn't hear a single thing! I was just wondering if any other fellow NY hunters were dealing with quiet birds now or if it's just me. Thanks Guys!

grunt_doc

RE: Are the turkys still gobbling???

Postby grunt_doc » May 14th, 2008, 3:51 am

I wish I could say I knew.  I hunted the 1st 3 days of the season and haven't been able to get back out.  work/school/kids/life/ect.  I'll be going back out Memorial Day weekend with my brother.  It's been killing me not being able to go! I hope I can get at the boss tom I saw on day 2!

Doc

jackr

Postby jackr » May 14th, 2008, 4:08 am

Hey there , was out last Sunday and had more then one n the hill making noise...Hunting in Ischua , I will be out Sat n Sun ...good Luck

steelheadr

Postby steelheadr » May 15th, 2008, 10:08 am

I was out the same day 5/13 along Lake Ontario (Wayne County) and heard gobbles all morning.  Guestimate of about 50 gobbles.  Got my biggest spurred bird ever, 1 7/16" 20 3/4# and 8 7/8" beard. They still gobbled after I shot at 8 am. Much fewer gobbles yesterday.

Hunter

Postby Hunter » May 20th, 2008, 3:22 am

Turkeyflopper, The answer to your question is yes. I also live in Western New York and I have been hunting Hanging Bog for over 20 years. My wife and I was hunting what we call the big bog on top of the mountain (Hanging Bog), and I called in one jake. It was fairly decent size but if I had shot him then I would have crossed the bog to get him. There are certains areas where you can camp and hunt. Where we were at was just above Crab Hollow Rd and in between Crab Hollow and the big bog. So far the gobblers are still looking for a girlfrind. Its the best that I can help you with right now. Later,

Nice to meet you all,

Hunter
John Pounds. Hunter

NYSuperSportsman

Postby NYSuperSportsman » May 20th, 2008, 5:03 pm

I have been hunting about 7-8 times this season and I have heard gobbling 2times. I have seen turkeys about 6 times and 5 of them were hens. The birds have been terribly henned up and very quiet! It is has been a tough season so far but I am stickin with it!! good luck with the next 2 weeks boys!!

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » May 20th, 2008, 6:50 pm

Hi Turkeyflopper!  I live in Southwestern Pa, but being in such close proximity I figure the birds are in about the same sync. Around here the birds are gobbling good one day and silent the next. But early mornings are the best time for me to hear them unless I get real close to them, then it has just been a matter of trying to call them away from hens. Good luck to you. Saturday is the last day here in Pa. When is the season over for you?

turkeyflopper

Postby turkeyflopper » May 20th, 2008, 7:33 pm

Yea i havn't been out all that much recently but last weekend I went out and didn't hear a thing off the roost. I have been watching multiple hens tho in the field. But no Big boys with them. Now that classes are over I will have more time to try and get my second! Our season ends May 31. Good luck to everybody!!!

Return to New York