Last Minute....

OakRoadHunter

RE: Last Minute....

Postby OakRoadHunter » April 29th, 2009, 8:50 am

Hey Mossberg835, I hunt mostly in Livingston county and Allegany counties but I do have a buddy that lives in Naples that has offered to let me hunt his land. Many nice birds up that way?
Calling 'um up close

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » April 29th, 2009, 9:48 am

ORIGINAL: OakRoadHunter

Hey Mossberg835, I hunt mostly in Livingston county and Allegany counties but I do have a buddy that lives in Naples that has offered to let me hunt his land. Many nice birds up that way?

OakRoadHunter, there are some very nice birds up this way. My friends first gobbler he ever shot around here was 23 1/2 lbs and had 1 inch spurs and a VERY thick 8 1/2 inch beard. My dad got a 25lb gobbler in the fall with 1 inch spurs and a 9 1/2 inch beard. That bird has 3 buddies that are bigger than him now. there is one gobbler on the farm where we hunt right out of naples that is probably 30lbs now. he is HUGE Rochester, HUGGGEE![:D] 

There is also some nice tracks of public land right near naples, mainly the High Tor area. Lots of terrain to hunt. Hope this helps, and thanks for replying. Rock on and Peace Out Brother! [:D]

P.S. i would hunt up here if you have time. Usually the mating happens before the season starts but it is going to be awesome this year because the turkyes havent even been talking much around here because March and April were cold. I would really consider hunting here. None of the gobblers on the farm where we hunt even have hens and the farmer usually hears them gobbling and they havent been talking he says and we havent heard them either during scouting that much.
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » April 29th, 2009, 10:10 am

Forgot to tell everybody this.[8|] Last week on Friday, the day before the youth season, i was on the bus going to school and we turned a corner in the road, and there was a HUGE GOBBLER with a 11-12 inch beard and 1 1/2 inch spurs probably at least and probably 25 lbs or more, and it was in the MIDDLE OF THE ROAD!! Just struttin in the road, and the road is usually heavy with traffic, not some logging or back road. I'll say it again, the thing was in the MIDDLE OF THE ROAD!, STRUTTING! Has anybody else ever seen them do this, on a pretty heavily used road. Any feed back would be nice.[:D]

OTSDAWA_RIDGE_HUNTER

Postby OTSDAWA_RIDGE_HUNTER » April 29th, 2009, 12:02 pm

I went out here yesterday morning to soothe the inner beast (MA Hunting Season) here on Cape Cod, MA and I called in a dandy for a co-worker.  He hung up for 15 minutes (50 yds out) so I just shut up on him and he ended up coming right to the decoy.  My buddy's first time turkey hunting and he ended up rolling the bird. [:(] The bird went a$$ over tea kettle, got up and shot us the finger then ran.  Really dissapointing for my buddy but he is definately hooked for life.  He's a big time deer hunter and he never gave 2 thoughts about Spring Turkey hunting but he is very excited now.  I just feel bad that he rolled that ole boy and feel even worse because now the bird is hurting for sure now.  That is the worst thing that can happen is wounding a bird.  He told me between the intensity, him shaking and the heart pounding he screwed up the shot.
  Well anyhow I am headed home to NY on Friday morning (missing Friday hunt) and will be hunting Saturday and Sunday.  Then its back for duty (US Coast Guard here) until next weekend, then I am on leave for 10 days.  It will sure be nice to get back home to the hills of Otsego County where I am happiest and I am so excited I cant sleep or think straight!  I would like to wish Good luck to all my Upstate New York brothers out there.  Call em close and shoot em in the face boys!!

Mack
"Many people talk smack about their skills.....I let my beard board and spur necklaces do the talking"

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » April 30th, 2009, 7:43 am

1/2 a day boys and its turkey slammin time! Good luck to all you guys.[:D]

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » April 30th, 2009, 12:59 pm

just a matter of hours now[:D] good luck to everyone! hoping to see some pics tomorrow[;)]

Previous

Return to New York