Lull in the season?

longspur

Lull in the season?

Postby longspur » May 15th, 2009, 3:59 am

Very frustrating week. I have heard only 3 gobbles in the few days I've hunted. I went to many different areas, and the same result. Anyone else experiencing this lull? Hopefully next week will be better. I hope these birds start opening their mouths again. They seem not to be interested in any hen calling. I can't wait for the second peak in gobbling.

nywk9300

RE: Lull in the season?

Postby nywk9300 » May 16th, 2009, 12:25 pm

You are not alone... everyone I have talked to around here has said the same thing about the last week. We too have only heard a couple the past few outings. hopefully it will pick up.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » May 16th, 2009, 1:09 pm

ORIGINAL: longspur

Very frustrating week. I have heard only 3 gobbles in the few days I've hunted. I went to many different areas, and the same result. Anyone else experiencing this lull? Hopefully next week will be better. I hope these birds start opening their mouths again. They seem not to be interested in any hen calling. I can't wait for the second peak in gobbling.

Same situation down here across the line. I filled my first tag last Friday, and haven't heard a gobble since. Our season closes on Monday, 5/25, but I'm expecting to be able to hunt only that day and this Monday, 5/18.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » May 17th, 2009, 12:53 pm

It has been dead here as well except for the last 2 days. One of my good friends is back home and we have been going to his land that has had little hunting pressure.
Yesterday we heard three different gobblers around us (2 gobbling like crazy)but no success, today we heard several others as well. After no success in the early morning and about to give up hope,
I did a few more purrs and soft clucks and all of a sudden we heard some gobbles right on the edge of his field in the woods some. Did a little bit more soft calling and he was heading away in the woods then started coming back in.
Then a hen started to walk across the field about 40 yards away and I told him hes going to come out right behind her. A few seconds later one of the biggest gobblers I have ever seen walks out. He ended up missing him cleanly but he is a first time turkey hunter and just hearing the gobbles up close and getting the opportunity to see a big bird and get a shot put the fever in him[:D]

longspur

Postby longspur » May 18th, 2009, 7:26 am

Looks like we are headed into another week of tight lipped birds. I went yet another day without any gobbling. Strange thing is, I haven't seen all that many hens around. I saw a few today, but I haven't noticed an over abundance. A little frustrated. Hopefully by the end of the week the birds will remember that they only have a little while left to "do the deed" I'd like to sweet talk the old bird I have so desperatley been trying to get. Everybody else still experiencing the same?

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » May 19th, 2009, 2:53 am

I share your frustration.  With work and school and the kids,  I will only have Memorial day and the day after to close out my spring season.  I'm glad I at least got on the board with a big jake.  hopefully, everything will fall into place.  I;m going to have to try every trick I know

Return to New York