skunked but happy

grizzly

skunked but happy

Postby grizzly » May 1st, 2011, 3:10 am

lefted home at 4:30 this morning . 5 minutes before 6 i had a tom gobble i gave him a few yelps  the next gobble i heard was behind me i looked around and the feild was full of turkeys problem was they were 100 yards away so i had to watch 3 nice toms strut around a bunch of willing hens after an hour the hens lead them to the other side of the feild and leaved so i moved to a new spot and got one fired up it turned out to be a jake he closed to 20 yards fast but i let him walk another move and again a tom fire up but he hung up he just wouldn't commit so i came home skunked . as i sit here writing this post enjoying a cup of coffee i also was treated to a wonderful sun rise this morning with all it's colors the birds singing their little songs a renewed spirit and peace in my heart .tom or not i know the real reason i hunt it's being out in woods and connection with my Maker and all he's given me that i can't wait to get out there and do it all over again[:D]wayne

SpurHuntinHillbilly

RE: skunked but happy

Postby SpurHuntinHillbilly » May 1st, 2011, 5:40 am

Excellent! Good to hear that you had a good morning. I cant wait to get on that plane Wed, fly into Binghamton, and get on the hill! Best of luck to you this season.

Mack

longspur

Postby longspur » May 8th, 2011, 5:04 pm

I have been skunked all season so far, minus the bird I called in for a buddy. I'll let you all know about that soon, plus pics. I finally have roosted a bird today on one of my private land properties. Hoping to have a beautiful morning. I'm also hoping I can start on a good note. My cousin and gang from Downwind Outdoors are slamming birds in the north country. I am looking to follow suit. Good luck guys. Hopefully I have a story a pics to follow of my own. -Kevin

Limb Hanger

Postby Limb Hanger » May 9th, 2011, 2:50 am

Skunked seems to be the right word, or maybe "Humbled by Hens" a more appropriate phrase for me. I've been hunting my favorite farm, trying to call a bird for the land owners 14 year old son. Yesterday the action was non stop, we saw 4 Toms, 3 Jakes, and several hens. Finally at about 9:30, I had the full attention of a full fanned strutter; he was slowly working his way in. Then, from the edge of the woods the more soft and seductive calls of a hen snagged his attention. She walked out of "Posted" land into our green field, and headed back into "Posted" land with the old boy in tow. We've made a plan of attack for our next hunt.  

As frustrating as this sport is or can be, days like yesterday keep the drive alive!
Meadowblaster Custom Turkey Calls

Just because he isn't gobbl'n, doesn't mean he isn't listen'n!

NYSuperSportsman

Postby NYSuperSportsman » May 9th, 2011, 9:04 am

It has been a tough year for most! I didnt hear or see a turkey on the first weekend and last weekend I saw and heard some but no avail! This is one of the seasons that knocks you down a few notches and makes you work for it! It will be very rewarding when a tag is filled this season!! Good luck everyone!

retranger

Postby retranger » May 10th, 2011, 2:29 pm

We manage to fill one of four tags on opening day, but wasn't much of a hunt. Not sure if it was an ambush or suicide. see ny birds. Since then we have not heard or seen a bird or any sign of one!!!! I won't be out for a while as my wife just had surgery on ruptured disk in her lower back yesterday so I will be staying close to home.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Limb Hanger

Postby Limb Hanger » May 11th, 2011, 9:59 am

The gobbling started at 5:30 this morning, all was quiet by 6. Had a real nice long beard work his way in quietly, he'd break into strut and continue walking at a steady pace. At about 35 yards he saw something he didn't like, did an about face to make a quick retreat. With my 835 and the Kicks choke, that would have been a chip shot. Not so much with my Hoyt Ultra Tec, I shot just under him. At 9 a.m. he was out in the same green field trying to entertain a couple of the girls, they lead him off into the woods. Still skunked but happy!

Meadowblaster Custom Turkey Calls

Just because he isn't gobbl'n, doesn't mean he isn't listen'n!

fightingspurs

Postby fightingspurs » May 12th, 2011, 1:51 pm

Skunked skunked and skunked damn birds watched two really nice strutters walk off with a slutty hen then i missed a tom that came in silent and i misjudged the distance it ended up to be farther then it looked and lets not mention they are really quit this year for what ever reason hopefully this will change soon...
scott
Fightingspurs game calls - GOT BLOOD!!!

grizzly

Postby grizzly » May 15th, 2011, 1:13 am

man what a spring i have never had this much trouble calling in a tom i get in early and they get fired up then when they fly down and land in the middle of the feild then the hens show up and that's it i wait and start calling after they leave the toms so little interest in what i have to offer i have tryed every thing in the way of calling i know went out this morning and got a big boy fired up but then the rain came and shut it all down well i'll get out next week and try it again  still skunked but still happy[:)]wayne

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » May 15th, 2011, 1:41 am

Hey grizzly, have you tried putting a blind in the middle of the field? I always thought that putting a blind in the middle of field with no cover would be stupid, because why would a turkey go close to something that just popped up out of thin air. This year I went against my better judgement and was surprised that they actually walked right beside it. Thats just a thought, I hope your season gets better. From what I've heard ya New York state boys are having a tough season.

Next

Return to New York