Dont write off the mossberg 535

Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner

RE: Dont write off the mossberg 535

Postby Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner » March 21st, 2010, 1:07 pm

Here's my 835 Tactical and I love it to death! It has a TRUGLO Turkey Diamond scope, and I have a Comp-N-Choke on the business end. I love the fact that I can fully adjust this stock to fit my hunting situation. As far as rounds go I shoot the Winchester Supreme 3.5" #6's and they absolutely crush birds! For S&G, I put a target up before leaving the range the other day and a ranged out to 60 yards with my range finder. Threw it up on the shoulder and squeezed one off. At 60 yards it still placed 32 shots in the head and neck. Now, while I personally won't shoot a bird at that range I was amazed that it held that good a pattern at that distance. Most of my shots are 40 and under. I know plenty of folks who have the 835 and they have been shooting them for many years without any problems. My friend has the 535 and it is essentially the same gun. This gun is also very devastating on birds. He has the same scope and choke as me and we really can't tell the difference. Now, he shoots the Winchester Supreme 3" #6's and it patterns awesome. I am a pretty big guy (6'3" 240) so the weight of the 835 doesn't really bother me and the pistol grip design allows much of the recoil to be absorbed into your hand. Well, thats my .02 so my advice is to go put each one up on your shoulder and see which one you like the best.

"I wish to make no connection with any ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go in harms way"
-John Paul Jones

NYSuperSportsman

Postby NYSuperSportsman » March 21st, 2010, 1:17 pm

Here is a pic of mine after modifications. I won the gun on a $10 gun raffle ticket when I was in high school. So the 120 bucks i put into the scope, barrel and comraising kit didnt bother me any. Oh yeah and I use 3" federal flitecontrol wad shells with an undertaker choke tube.

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » March 22nd, 2010, 5:46 am

Glad to hear all the talk about the great guns mossberg has to offer. We use mossberg guns for every kind of hunting we do, except for squirrel hunting, and they all perform flawlessly. I dont think people should belive all the ads they see on TV about Benellies and Berettas and all those fancy guns that are way overpriced $$$. The Mossbergs cost less and will knock down turkeys just as well, in fact better, than all those other guns. I also think that 870's are not as good as there made out to be. My dad had a turkey at 50 yds and all he could see ws the head and it never moved once after he shot it. My uncle tried to shoot one that far w/his 870 and missed and he was using same choke and shells as my dad and the shot was easier. The 500 is a very good gun. i shot my 1st turkey w/it and my dad shot one w/it 3 falls ago. Mossbergs are AWESOME GUNS, i love them.
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

fightingspurs

Postby fightingspurs » March 23rd, 2010, 11:41 am

Love that 835 tactical i bought one this year and it shoots great! And all mossbergs are my favorite. Now im buying my wife one damn! Just cant have one LOL
Fightingspurs game calls - GOT BLOOD!!!

Fargohunt

Postby Fargohunt » March 29th, 2010, 8:18 am

Well I haven't written off the 535 as I bought a new one Saturday--$345 got me the gun, nice camo sling and 12 ga cleaning kit since I bought the last one they had--a nice local shop and I was happy to spend my $ there as opposed to the big box stores for a few $ less.  I suspect I'll have a sore shoulder after this weekend.  Say, since you guys are Mossberg guys, give me you choices for the best choke and sights for the 535, the barrel is 24" and it came with the 2X. Thanks

Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner

Postby Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner » April 8th, 2010, 11:21 am

I like the comp-n-choke XXX Full with 3.5" Winchester supreme #5's or #6's. How is that gun shooting for you?
"I wish to make no connection with any ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go in harms way"
-John Paul Jones

Previous

Return to New York