do I need an after market choke for my 835

stinkyfish

do I need an after market choke for my 835

Postby stinkyfish » April 27th, 2010, 4:54 am

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I was wondering if I should replace my stock choke on my 835 with an a after market choke. I kill birds with my current set-up , and am happy. BUT if I can make it better {I have to wonder} I'll try It. I'm shooting remington nitro turkey 1300-2-6 shot . Any better ideas????? THANKS....

Mossberg835

RE: do I need an after market choke for my 835

Postby Mossberg835 » April 27th, 2010, 5:34 am

Hi stinkyfish. Welcome to the forum. My name should tell that i know a thing or two about 835's. My dad has shot the same choke tube through his 835 since the day he got it, but is finally getting some jellyhead choke tubes, b/c thats what i have heard everybody taking about an they have had great results. You can stick with the tube you have or try the jelly heads(I recommend it). i also recommend using Winchesters supreme double x shells in the 3 1/2 inch 2 1/4 oz version if you can handle them because they give you so much added range and if my brother Jed, who is 12 and just shot his 1st turkey 3 days ago with the same set up i described, I think you could probably handle it. Hope this has helped.[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

stinkyfish

Postby stinkyfish » April 27th, 2010, 9:55 am

Thanks, M835 I've never heard of jelly heads . Can you get them at herbs phillipson or gander mountain . If I can I mite try one , If the $$$$ not to steep . Congrads to your brother on his bird . I love this gun , and for some reason I really like recoil and the big blast after....THANKS. I hope to add to my spur neckless again this year.

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » April 27th, 2010, 10:25 am

I love the recoil too. You can get the jelly head at gander mountian. Good luck.[:D][:D]
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

wingbone

Postby wingbone » April 27th, 2010, 4:14 pm

I am sorry for jumping off subject, but I just got to ask.... Is there a story behind your handle "stinkyfish"?

stinkyfish

Postby stinkyfish » April 28th, 2010, 5:04 am

Well not really , I used to work in a garage when I was a kid , and there was this guy that liked to play pranks. Well one day it was real hot and he had this bucket of bullheads in the back of his truck , So a buddy and myself hung the fish from the rear view mirror and rolled up the windows {IT WAS GREAT}. We worked 12 hour days and they were in there quiet a while and worked up their own specail smell.....So now when I see these guys we all laught about it . It's a name that nobodys has on the net so it works well..

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » April 28th, 2010, 7:39 am

ORIGINAL: stinkyfish

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I was wondering if I should replace my stock choke on my 835 with an a after market choke. I kill birds with my current set-up , and am happy. BUT if I can make it better {I have to wonder} I'll try It. I'm shooting remington nitro turkey 1300-2-6 shot . Any better ideas????? THANKS....

Hey John,

Welcome. We're glad you're here and look forward to hearing more from you.

I also have been shooting an 835 from shortly after they were introduced. For many years I shot the 3.5" Federal shells with both #4 and #6 lead shot with the factory choke. I started experimenting with different chokes but didn't find much that shot a lot better for years.

I also have the Mossberg SSI-One with the same i.d. barrel as the 835 in 24". Last October, I got my first 935, it has a 26" barrel.

Now, I just can't find anything that shoots better than the SSX in those guns. It has an exit diameter of .670 and throws great patterns with lead and tungsten-based shot and it's very reasonably priced for a premium quality turkey choke.

I'm no longer a great fan of the 3.5" shells but shoot them every now and then just to compare patterns with the 3" shells.

You can see one pattern that I shot recently with the 935 at http://www.allaboutshooting.com

My best to you this spring.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Return to New York