Its not long now

fightingspurs

RE: Its not long now

Postby fightingspurs » March 31st, 2010, 6:40 am

I just would like to see one. Ive have seen some aurburn red turkeys mix with wild easterns it was pretty wild looking..
Fightingspurs game calls - GOT BLOOD!!!

NYSuperSportsman

Postby NYSuperSportsman » April 7th, 2010, 5:01 am

I was home from college last week for spring break. I saw many birds strutting in the fields around the area and I scouted a few times. I scouted my family property first and there were many birds gobbling right on our land and on the adjoining property (that I can hunt). The next time I scouted I went to another property that I can hunt and there were at least 6 birds gobbling there. I didnt get a visual on any of the birds, but I usually try not to while scouting. I just listen to where they roost and where they end up within that first hour of light. Then I sneak out. I have very high hopes for the season! 23 days to go!!!!!!

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » April 7th, 2010, 9:44 am

Great news NYSS. I saw 2 big jakes in the field on the farm we can hunt, good sign b/c there hasnt been much on the farm for 3yrs b/c there is no fod in the spring anymore and the hens leave, obviously taking all male birds with them[:(] Also heard from neighbor that he has heard some gobbling near his house, need to get permission to hunt up there, hear so many up there during  season, but they dont want to cross the road[:(] havnt been able to get out early and listen, but I plan to this weekend.Sleep as long as i can on weekdays b/c i have school, which sucks, so im not up early enough. Cant wait for the season.
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner

Postby Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner » April 8th, 2010, 11:19 am

I cant wait guys! I went this morning to my spot here in the Communistwealth of MA and I heard quite a few gobbles. I got closer and watched them for about an hour and snuck out. 18 more days and hopefully I can seal the deal. Then it's home to Unadilla, NY for some real birds! All the birds down here on Cape Cod come in like they are on a fishing pole. Nobody hunts here which makes the hunting easy. It's almost like they aren't even afraid of humans. Oh well, it's still a dead longbeard!
"I wish to make no connection with any ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go in harms way"
-John Paul Jones

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » April 12th, 2010, 5:48 am

Sat outside on my porch last thursday around 6:00 in the morning. Man were the turkeys hammerin! I heard probably 10 gobblers and they were gobbling at crows and an owl, and then a hen started yapping and they went baserk! I mean absolutely insane. They were triple gobbling and going offlike mad. cant wait for youth season and then regular season!!! WAHOO!!!!
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

longspur

Postby longspur » April 13th, 2010, 8:24 am

Well, it's time I finally post. I haven't been out too awfully much, but I have heard and seen a few birds in my areas. I plan on doing some scouting here next week. I'm hoping that the big tom I saw last year will still be around. Saw him during the youth season. Had my little brother close, but not close enough. He has a 12 in. beard or longer. He was good at duping me all season long. I came close a few times, but he was certainly good at outsmarting me. Well that is all for now. I'll be posting more as the season nears. Ill let you know how my scouting adventures go. -Kevin 

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » April 13th, 2010, 9:21 am

I have less than 4 days until turkey season starts here in KY. I've been out the last two weekends and heard birds everywhere in the mornings. I hope to be posting a few photos this weekend if all goes well. Good luck to all of you as well!

grizzly

Postby grizzly » April 18th, 2010, 6:03 am

well my n.y brothers two more weeks to go the calls are ready and the gun as well. i got my spots picked out . the toms have been out struting in the feilds every morning for the last week and all i can do is and wait two more very long weeks[&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][;)] wayne

NYSuperSportsman

Postby NYSuperSportsman » April 18th, 2010, 4:40 pm

I had some very successful scouting this weekend! There are alot of birds around and I am very excited for the season. I shot my turkey gun to make sure the POI was still on with my red dot and man that thing is nasty!! Its almost not fair how good it shoots. I shot it at 20 yards and I am sure he would have been decapitated. Anyways its under 2 weeks now!! I cant wait!

NYSuperSportsman

Postby NYSuperSportsman » April 28th, 2010, 3:25 pm

Looks like rain in the forcast for saturday and sunday. Anyone changing up the tactics for the rainy morning?

Previous

Return to New York