May 1st in the Turkey Woods

longspur

May 1st in the Turkey Woods

Postby longspur » April 30th, 2010, 6:52 am

Less than 24 hours from now we will all be putting on our turkey gear, checking to make sure nothing is neglected and left behind. We will walk out into the crisp morning air. One step further, we'll remember, that one thing, that may make, or break the hunt. For me it's generally the coffee sitting on the counter. At our designated locations we will listen for our first gobble. In the heat of the moment, we may start making a b-line right for that bird. Another gobble later we'll remember, that going straight for this bird may not be the best option. A scenario left in our head, by that "bad" bird will help us re-think our strategy. Daylight will bring more gobbling, the song birds will be singing their wake-up songs, the mosquito's will start buzzing, and the smell of the woods will wake our senses. As the sun starts to rise and bead into our eyes, the birds will be on the ground in search of the soft yelps that rang from the slate call that sits by our side. For some, the morning will be over in just a few short minutes, but for others, the day will bring them a humbling sense that keeps us coming back for more.

Turkey Season is finally here. Good luck everyone, and be safe.
-Kevin

OakRoadHunter

RE: May 1st in the Turkey Woods

Postby OakRoadHunter » April 30th, 2010, 8:49 am

Thank you and good luck to you! I'll be out there early, unfortunitly work starts at eight and im sure i'll be there too. Just hope it dosent decide to snow again as it did earlier this week. lol
Calling 'um up close

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » April 30th, 2010, 9:21 am

Good luck kevin, hope you smoke a big one tommorow, i hope i hear some.[:D]
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

grizzly

Postby grizzly » April 30th, 2010, 12:50 pm

good luck boys and be safe,10 more hours to go[;)] wayne

stinkyfish

Postby stinkyfish » April 30th, 2010, 3:49 pm

I've been ready for a week , no way i"m sleeping tonight

NYSuperSportsman

Postby NYSuperSportsman » April 30th, 2010, 4:54 pm

Just roosted one behind the house about an hour ago. Cant wait to get on him this morning!! Good luck to everyone.

Return to New York