Day 1 succes

OakRoadHunter

Day 1 succes

Postby OakRoadHunter » May 1st, 2010, 8:03 am

In the woods by 5:15, birds started tearing it up on the roost by 5:45. Birds pitched down and headed away from my setup around 6:00. Birds than circled and came back through where they had roosted nearing my setup. Tom and Jake are pulled in by Jake and hen decoys. Tom gets to decoys and looks around for a second than turns around and begins to step away. Expecting the worse i let the 835 have the last word. I was left with one bird flopping at 23yds and a the Jake still standing right beside it, it did even run away as i approached. The bird weighed out to about 20lbs, 9" beard, 7/8" spur's. Made it to work by eight.

Hope everyone else is having a good opener?

Mike
Calling 'um up close

grizzly

RE: Day 1 succes

Postby grizzly » May 1st, 2010, 9:26 am

congrads mike[:D] my day didn't go as well got in the woods at 5:00 . i have watch these 3 toms every morning for the last week in one of my feilds so i set up 20 yards into the woods . i had bought a new mask this year it is supposed to be fog proof guess i should have tryed it out before but i had to make a choice no glasses or no mask went with no mask . as it got toward shooting time i made some soft yelps all three toms answered two of them flew over my head and landed 30 yards out in the feild no shot there to much brush in the way the third landed 20 feet in front of me looking for a hen . there i sat with my gun in my lap and no way to get it up. he made his way to the feild with the other ones and by that time the hens were there. i thought i might be able to get  closer to the feild so i crawled down to a big pine at the edge when i popped my head up to see where they were.  that's when i heard the tom i didn't see .end of game for today . can't wait for tomorrow [;)] wayne

longspur

Postby longspur » May 2nd, 2010, 4:33 pm

Nice work. I managed to miss a nice bird opening day. It killed my streak of opening day birds. [:@]

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » May 3rd, 2010, 5:39 am

My morning didnt go so well. We got to our spot at 5:20. We waited to hear the turkeys gobble, but none did. We went down into he woods and set up and called some, but nothing answered, and we only heard 3 shots. We usually hear at least 10 or more! The heat and humidity totaly shut the birds down. We only heard 3 gobbles all day. Then on the way home, we stopped at a small field where we had seen some turkeys, and i called some, but nothing answered. We started to drive and  i saw a hen headed right towards where i had been calling, so i know my calling is good enough. Will probably go out tommorrow before school.[:D]
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

grizzly

Postby grizzly » May 3rd, 2010, 11:51 am

i hear ya moss sunday was a warm one i did manged to get a tom to fire up later in the morning be he seem to lose interest fast .darn bugs were crazy to [;)] wayne

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » May 4th, 2010, 10:19 am

Went out this morning w/ my brother jed, had 4 different gobblers answer me, but none came in though. Good to have turkeys answer me though finally.[:D]
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

Return to New York