NY bird #1 down at 6:10am

longspur

NY bird #1 down at 6:10am

Postby longspur » May 10th, 2010, 5:20 am

This morning was a great morning in the turkey woods, well at least if you weren't a gobbling turkey. I woke up a little later than normal. around 5:00. I figured I'd better get a move on. I got dressed real quick, grabbed my coffee, and made a little decision making. The 20ga single shot it was, and the field I most recently had seen and heard birds. I headed out into the crisp morning air. Each step of the way I was thinking, man, today might just be it. I was also replaying my opening morning miss on a big gobbler, and remembering what I told myself that day. I needed to let the bird work in closer, as it was doing so nicely before I hastily took a high shot and missed the bird clean. I walked the edge of the field and made an owl call. I thought I had heard a bird to my left in the big woods with a nice open bottom. I then waited to see If he would gobble again, nothing. I got out my mouth call and made a few soft clucks and tree yelps, nothing. I got out my box call and tried to make some soft yelps. Sure enough, Gooobbbbbbbblllllee. He cut me right off. He was probably 175 yards into the big bottom still on his roost. I quickly made it to the edge of the woods. I decided to call again to make sure I could slip in without being caught. Sure enough he gobbled again. Now, this bird was gobbling at every noise in the woods. I found a nearby tree just inside the wood line. I got myself set in for a potential arduous battle. after settling in, I figured it was time to make some turkey noise and try to interest him in coming in. He sure liked what I was saying. I did my fly down cackles and he must have gobbled himself right out of the tree. He tripple gobbled and then some. My heart was going about 100mph at this point. I calmed myself down and got ready before he slipped into my setup. 5 minutes later I see the bird out about 60yards strutting. I noticed he was missing some tail feathers upon my beard and tail fan inspection. He looked awfully funny without those tail feathers. He was intently looking for the hen that was yelping for him. I did a few soft yelps to let him know that I still loved him. The bird started closing the distance to my right. I had to make a little shift as he walked behind a tree. At this point he only had to get past the tree and into my sights for me to get a clean shot. I saw the white of his head get past the tree, I steadied the bead, and boom! I loaded another shell into my single 20, and swiftly went toward the downed bird. I said my little bit to the turkey gods, filled out my tag, and hoisted the bird to my truck with pride. Sometimes you just have a sixth sense for when these times are going to happen. Today, mine was working well. Pics will be soon to come. -Kevin

longspur

RE: NY bird #1 down at 6:10am

Postby longspur » May 10th, 2010, 7:47 am

Pics as promised:

NYSuperSportsman

Postby NYSuperSportsman » May 10th, 2010, 3:49 pm

Great Job!! Very nice bird and good story. Its nice to get redemption. I am looking for some myself as I called in a nice bird for a buddy and unfortunately he didnt conntect. I hope I can get one to gobble for me in the am too!! good luck with the rest of the season and that second tag!!

grizzly

Postby grizzly » May 11th, 2010, 12:06 am

nice bird and good story longspur congrads[:)] wayne

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » May 11th, 2010, 5:12 am

Good job Kevin. Still tryin to fill my tags. GOod luck w/ the second tag.
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

Return to New York