I'M BACK ON IN N.Y.

grizzly

I'M BACK ON IN N.Y.

Postby grizzly » March 29th, 2014, 3:33 pm

Well now that i'm back on let's start talking turkey . the season a little more than a month away and I have to say things here aren't looking to good . I haven't seen to many turkeys around in my area . This winter has been really bad a lot of snow and very cold . the big flocks of the nineties are a thing of the past Things aren't all bad I have managed to locate three really nice toms and really looking forward to the opening day ....wayne

retranger

Re: I'M BACK ON IN N.Y.

Postby retranger » March 29th, 2014, 6:34 pm

Not sure what the birds are in my area as I am wintering out the storms in florida. Watching the weather from here it shouldn't be too bad. We did not get the snow that the rest of the country did. We did however have very cold temps this year. Lots of -20 and -30's but I don't believe that has to much effect on the birds. The deep snow hurts more. Not sure if I will make opening day or not as I do not plan on leaving here till the weather is good back home.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

grizzly

Postby grizzly » March 30th, 2014, 10:12 am

I got my NWTF magazine a few weeks ago and they were listing turkey seasons state by state and I notice that more than a few states had listed that they had lower numbers of birds then in the past and I have to say that's true in my area as well the last 5 years there is no where the turkeys there was . the thing I can't figure out is way . yes there are yotes but they been around for 20 years and I do my best to keep their numbers down. but as far as I can see every thing is still same the hay fields and corn fields are planted the same way I wait till the middle of june to do my haying . I managed the woods in the same way so there are plenty of good young oaks so there's lots of acorns in the fall. yes the last couple of springs haven't been the greatest but I have seen hens with good groups of young ones during the summer. I guess what i'm saying I can't wrap my mind around as to a real reason for this. what do you guys think is the reasons why...wayne

retranger

Postby retranger » March 30th, 2014, 7:21 pm

My guess for the lack of birds is nature. The varying hare is the same and cycle up and down. I hunted them for years and suddenly for no able to see reason the population would drop off. For some unknown reason some years they just drop off. They will return I am sure.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » March 31st, 2014, 10:23 am

Glad to see you back grizzly.

As far as turkey populations being down, my guess would be that a lot of states had to repopulate the turkeys. I believe they have reached their maxium holding capacity and are now going down to what should be a stable population.

JeffCrez

Postby JeffCrez » March 31st, 2014, 12:01 pm

Hey Grizz, Welcome back. It was a cold, snowy & long winter here in s/e NY as well. From Dec. thru Feb. we had prolonged cold
temps and frozen snow pack. Not many days above freezing and most days and nights in the teens or lower. I suspect that there
must have been significant winter kill. This after going into winter with the population already down 20% according to DEC.
That said, turkeys are amazingly tough and the species can bounce back quickly owing to the high number of eggs produced.
If we get a few dry nesting seasons, we could return to those 90's glory days. Predators like coyotes are another concern. We
hear them hunting at night in our neighborhood often. During that first week of life when the poults can't yet fly up, they must
take a toll. Damp weather makes it worse. I have been hearing of more guys taking up yote hunting during winter, That may
help if it grows in popularity.

Regardless, we will probably have good hunting again this year. Looks like it may be a late spring but that's OK with me.
Some of my best seasons have come during years with late springs. Anyhow, good to see some NY hunters checking in here.
Good luck and enjoy the spring, I know I will..........JeffCrez
"Fall hunting is maneuvers, Spring hunting is war".......Tom Kelly

Return to New York