NY DEC Study

JeffCrez

NY DEC Study

Postby JeffCrez » March 7th, 2013, 12:18 pm

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the turkey population decline in the state. As you probably know, the DEC has commenced a study to look into it. The study will include trapping and banding hens as well as using radio transmitting devices. They also mentioned poor spring nesting weather the past few years and also predators as being significant contributing factors. The fact that they commited the resources and funding for the study indicates they are concerned. I can say that I have not seen near as many flocks the past five or six yrs. as I did back during the 80's and 90's. I have also seen a dramatic increase in coyote sightings. And yes, we've had some bad rainstorms during early June during the peak hatch.
Despite all of this, I have still had plenty of turkey action each spring season which leads me to think this is a temporary decline resulting from adverse nesting weather. Time will tell......JeffCrez
"Fall hunting is maneuvers, Spring hunting is war".......Tom Kelly

grizzly

Re: NY DEC Study

Postby grizzly » March 7th, 2013, 4:35 pm

yes Jeff i do think the number of turkeys are down form 10 years ago and yes i do think alot of it has to do with increase in predators coons and coyotes and now to add to it we got pigs to boot but with all that my early scouting has shown me that there is reason to be optomistic this spring....wayne

Limb Hanger

Re: NY DEC Study

Postby Limb Hanger » March 8th, 2013, 7:02 am

I’ve been hunting the same piece of property for the past 20 years or so, it’s been my go to spot. There are still a fair number of birds, but not near as many as years ago. What I’ve noticed is the birds have become less vocal. They'll gobble some on the roost, some mornings it's like hearing a chorus; only to become almost silent when they hit the ground. The mid morning gobble is very sparse to none. I know they are there, and will wait them out or see them on the walk out. Several birds have walked in to the set up absolutely quiet.

My belief is that the almost silent birds are a direct result of a booming coyote population. Over the past two years, I’ve had Coyotes sneak up to decoys twice. There are coyote tracks everywhere! I know there are nuisance permits for deer and geese, I wonder if there are nuisance permits for coyotes?
Meadowblaster Custom Turkey Calls

Just because he isn't gobbl'n, doesn't mean he isn't listen'n!

Return to New York