New York 2013 spring gobbler season

calmaker60

New York 2013 spring gobbler season

Postby calmaker60 » April 28th, 2013, 6:58 pm

In NY our Youth weekend was last weekend...except for the blizzard in Chautauqua County all went well.
NYS regular season starts May 1 an here in Chautauqua County, the weather looks great for the first few days.
It seems..especially here WNY breeding is getting started..shoot video of an 18 8 breedin a hen last week.
Lets here from other parts of the EMPIRE state.
oakridgegamecalls.com

retranger

Re: New York 2013 spring gobbler season

Postby retranger » April 29th, 2013, 7:25 am

Didn't realize that I was the only one out of hibernation. LOL Not many NYers on here any more. In Essex county it seems pretty dim. Last year my honey hole had zip for birds and this year I did see one track. Put a camera out and after a week only had a pic of a deer. Weather looks good but not real sure about the birds, have not seen many around and the ones I have seen are non huntable.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Limb Hanger

Postby Limb Hanger » April 29th, 2013, 7:21 pm

Drove east on I-90 to Mass. today and saw quite a few birds. Most were alone, a few were paired up. Was at the farm in the southern tier Sunday, nothing sighted and very few tracks.

Out East on business, first missed opening day since i've started chasing Thunder Chickens. Can't wait until Saturday!
Meadowblaster Custom Turkey Calls

Just because he isn't gobbl'n, doesn't mean he isn't listen'n!

retranger

Postby retranger » May 4th, 2013, 7:36 am

Don't know about the rest of the state but in the far north it's not very good. :( I have been out scouting prior to opening day and out since. It is the same as last year,,,,,,have not heard a bird nor seen much for sign of them. :roll: Have only heard of a couple birds taken. My honey holes that has produced birds for me for 10 years have dried up. Will be interested to hear from the rest of the state.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow

Limb Hanger

Postby Limb Hanger » May 6th, 2013, 9:04 am

Been trying to get the land owners 17 yr old son a bird for the past two years, seems like we’re snake bit. I didn’t follow one of my rules of thumb to wait the birds out, a Tom or a satellite Tom will usually sneak back in after a bit of time. We paid the price.
We got to the top of the hill in the back pasture shortly after 5 a.m. I let out my best rendition of an owl call, and 2 birds hammered right back directly across the pasture about 200 yards away; it sounded like they were right on the edge. We picked out a large tree, put out a couple of hen decoys (for some reason, I opted not to do the usual positioning a Jake over a hen; he stayed in the bag). We sat down, and let things settle down a bit. As it started to brighten up, I grabbed the turkey wing and did a couple of fly down sequences. The Tom’s were going nuts! A few soft yelps were answered by double and triple gobbles. The birds flew down, and with each gobble they were getting closer. Guns were at the ready. After about 10 minutes or so, one Tom was making his way in; off to the distant right we heard a seductive series of yelps. I answered those yelps and cut a bit, thinking maybe the hen would make her way over to see the competitor. The hen answered with a couple more soft yelps, the Tom craned his neck and turned his attention to the live hen that would lead him on to posted land. We could see (through a break in the hedge row) 2 Tom’s courting the lone hen. They slowly headed east. I decided to get ahead of the birds, and try to call them back on to our pasture. We headed east, staying close to the hedge row; we set up in the corner of the pasture that was about 300 yards ahead of the traveling birds. After about 10 minutes, I could see the birds drawing closer and made a couple of soft yelps; the hen changed her direction and headed straight for our position with the Toms in tow. Within minutes, the hen popped out of the hedge row 25 yards away right in front of us. We waited for the Toms to make their last entrance into our field; I had a blossoming tree picked out to be used as a back drop for the photos. We waited some more; and then we waited longer. Can turkeys evaporate? It has been hot and dry. After 30 minutes, we slowly headed back on the path we followed along the hedge row; I let out an occasional yelp without any answers. The pasture has some rolling hills, and as we walked to a vantage point we saw 2 Toms directly in front of where we had sat at first light. I’m still talking to myself over this one; the would’ve, could’ve, and should’ve running through my head. I guess that’s what makes me love turkey hunting so much in the off season.

retranger

Postby retranger » May 7th, 2013, 8:20 am

At least you ha ve birds talking to you. I have not seen or heard a bird all season. Duplicate of last year :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Limb Hanger

Postby Limb Hanger » May 12th, 2013, 9:42 am

Got up at 2:30 a.m. to get ready; heard the screens rattling on the windows, and raining pretty hard. Went back to bed. It started to snow at 10 a.m., with strong wind gusts. And to think, last week it was in the high 70's...

turkeyflopper

Postby turkeyflopper » May 12th, 2013, 4:23 pm

Well both me and my buddies season ended this morning. Finally got a good year for hunting.

May 1st:

Scouted the previous evening and had a gobbler hammering hard on the roost. We have hunted here before but never put one down. We knew where he was roosted and planned our setup for opening morning. Snuck in early and set up a hen and jake strutter. The area had a big section of hardwoods as well as grass clearings with a pond and some patches of pines to break up the clearings. As it got lighter out the gobbler lit up. He and about ten hens flew down into the grass and he began strutting around for his ladies. Where he was strutting I don't think he could see the decoys. I did some calling and got on the bad side of the boss hen. She was screaming at me so I did it right back. She ending up up coming to check us out and he was right behind her. As soon as he saw our strutter be he jogged in at half strut right for it. My buddy dropped him 5ft from the decoy at about 25 yards. The bird had 7/8" spurs with an 11" beard. His first turkey no less and done by 6:30.

472423_10152775614950416_1401581134_o.jpg
472423_10152775614950416_1401581134_o.jpg (409.03 KiB) Viewed 695 times

May 5th:

Me and my buddy decided to try a new spot I have seen a strutter before the season. I figured for sure the place has been hunted before we went this season. We had no idea of where the birds were roosted. As it was getting light we were making our way down a hedgerow towards the big hardwoods. Saw another hunted coming in from the other road at the opposite end of the field. We started walking just inside the woods when we heard a gobble. It sounded like it was coming from the field so we snuck out there to take a look. On the edge of the field where we were was high grass and a big dirt mound. I saw a jake and tom out in the field and he was gobbling his head off. We were able to make our way out to the dirt mound and started a little calling. Every so often I would look over the top of the pile to see what they were doing. Within a couple minutes the jake cleared the side of the pile about 70 yards out. Moments later the tom came strutting 15 yards out around the pile heading for a lone hen decoy we had up. I put my red dot on him and it was all over. Done again by 6:30. This bird had 1" spurs with a 9" curving beard.

Spring 2013 Turkey 2.jpg
Spring 2013 Turkey 2.jpg (219.33 KiB) Viewed 695 times

May 12th:

Me and my buddy again went to a new spot we have seen three strutter previously. We went out there yesterday but the weather was no good and we were set up wrong (no scouting was done prior). This morning we knew right where they were roosted and what they were going to do based on yesterdays experience. We got out there in the dark and set up in a hedgerow. Put out the jake strutter with two hens. The boss tom gobbled three times before flying to the field edge. He was immediately followed by his two buddies. They were in a line about 20 yards apart on the edge of the field all in full strut waiting for their hens. The hens flew down and the toms started to converge. About six hens, three toms, and another lone tom which was keeping his distance, started making their way into the field. They all were walking about 70 yards out with the hens in the lead and the gobblers in tow. One hen was also bearded which was cool to see. As soon as the three gobblers got in front of us they all headed right for our jake. They came into 20 yards in full strut tripping over each other the whole way. As soon as they went out of strut we tried picking the biggest two and let them have it. Both birds sported 9" beards. One with 7/8" spurs and the other with 1" spurs. We we walking out by 6:10.

IMG_0535.JPG
IMG_0535.JPG (1.88 MiB) Viewed 695 times

retranger

Postby retranger » May 12th, 2013, 6:44 pm

Good year for sure fellows. Nice looking 2 and 3 year old birds. Congrats. Much better than I have had,,,,not seen or heard a bird all season,,,,same as last year :mrgreen: Good job fellows ;)

Limb Hanger

Postby Limb Hanger » May 13th, 2013, 5:51 am

That's AWESOME Turkeyflopper, what a season! I have some vacation time towards the end of the week and can't wait to go...

Next

Return to New York