Fall Hunt

kcfishnerd

Fall Hunt

Postby kcfishnerd » June 5th, 2008, 1:55 pm

I am thinking about heading to NM this fall to see family and was wondering how the fall season is.  Any replies would be appreciated.  

Wade

Gobblerman

RE: Fall Hunt

Postby Gobblerman » June 5th, 2008, 5:46 pm

Wade,
The fall hunt in NM is generally very good, depending on where you are planning on hunting.  Where are you thinking about going?
Jim

kcfishnerd

Postby kcfishnerd » June 6th, 2008, 4:44 am

We will be staying in Albaqurque but I have no idea were to start.  I lived up north in Espanola when I was a little kid so I kind of know that area.  I have not been to the southern part to much.  Any sugestions?

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » June 6th, 2008, 9:10 am

I am sure there are some good areas that are close to Albuquerque, but I am not familiar with those areas.  I would guess your best bet would be to drive down to the Lincoln NF south of Cloudcroft.  There are lots of birds there on public land and they are pretty easy to find and hunt in the fall.  I doubt you would have any trouble getting one.  I think the drive from Albuquerque is about three hours.  Let me know if you need more info on that area.

Jim

kcfishnerd

Postby kcfishnerd » June 6th, 2008, 2:32 pm

Thanks for the help, I greatly appreciate it. 

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » June 10th, 2008, 12:12 pm

Good luck, kc, let us know how your hunt goes.

Ibex junkie

Postby Ibex junkie » June 28th, 2008, 10:34 am

Hello, i also am going on a fall turkey hunt, and i am wondering where to go in the Gila. I usually go into 16A, but the past 2 years have been real slow. Any suggestions?
Derek

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » June 28th, 2008, 6:24 pm

Ibex junkie (you must live in southwestern NM to have that name), I really can't give you any really solid pointers on where you might try in the Gila for a fall bird.  They are there, sure enough, but I just don't hunt that country enough to be able to tell you where to go. 

Have you got any pointers on where to find an off-range ibex? (I didn't draw for the Floridas again this year...big surprise!)

Jim

NMblackgold

Postby NMblackgold » July 21st, 2009, 5:32 am

ORIGINAL: kcfishnerd

We will be staying in Albaqurque but I have no idea were to start.  I lived up north in Espanola when I was a little kid so I kind of know that area.  I have not been to the southern part to much.  Any sugestions?

KCfish, I have hunted many years in the Zuni Mountains near Grants, NM.  It is a short drive west out of Albuquerque.  There are a good # of birds but will be difficult to find in the fall as they are flocked up and don't make a lot of noise.  Try south out of Grants about 20 miles near the Valley of Fires information center.  Lots of access to the Cibola National Forest there......on the north side of the road.

Return to New Mexico