NM 2009 Spring Hunt Report

Durango Kid

RE: NM 2009 Spring Hunt Report

Postby Durango Kid » March 19th, 2010, 11:26 am

The weather has been fairly warm here as of late so it's been burning off a lot of snow. I've been around SW Colorado to do some scouting, but can only find no snow on south-facing mountains. I've seen plenty of elk and deer but have yet to see a turkey track. They're out there, just need to be in the right spot.

I recently found out that I drew for a Unit 2 permit so I will definitely be there on the 15th! I called in a bird for a buddy in Unit 2 and now it's my turn! Can't wait for the opener in CO and NM!

Dave
That's why it's called huntin' and not shootin'.

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » March 25th, 2010, 4:15 am

Hey, Dave,...sounds like you got some serious turkey huntin' planned!  We've still got a lot of snow down here in the southern NM mountains.  Most of our birds are down a bit lower than usual for this time of year.....and they haven't really started doing anything yet....gobblers are still bunched up and showing very little interest in the hens as of yet.  In a normal year they would be hot 'n heavy by now. 

I see in another post that you will be over in the Sweetwater area.  I/we will be over by Abilene for the opener in TX, too.  We'll compare notes after things get rolling!  Good luck on your hunts!

Jim

(footnote:....hey Murray,...where are you, buddy?!)

Durango Kid

Postby Durango Kid » March 31st, 2010, 11:12 am

I finally heard my first gobble the other day....although it was on private land not accessible by me.  I've also gotten reports from friends outside of town that the birds are strutting and beginning their annual spring affairs.  It has been really warm in town so a lot of the snow has burned off in the lower elevations, but as you said as well, the mountains still have feet and feet of snow.  I think the birds will be down low in the creekbottoms and valleys where they can get to some of the greenery.  I think anyways...

I was trying to make my way down to Unit 2 to do some scouting, but I don't think I'll be able to get down there unfortunately.  I'll be able to hunt opening day here in CO, then leave the next day to hit up Sweetwater, TX for 4-5 days.  I'm super excited about TX since we'll be on a friend's land and I got a beautiful 4 year old last time.  After TX we'll head to the Land of Enchantment and hunt there of another 4-5 days.  The next 10 days just can't go by fast enough...

I agree!  We'll have to compare progress reports from TX as well as NM this year!
That's why it's called huntin' and not shootin'.

Previous

Return to New Mexico