Call wood staining????

Support for hopelessly addicted turkey call collectors
Steve_In

RE: Call wood staining????

Postby Steve_In » July 3rd, 2009, 5:50 am

Thank you for all for the replies.  I guess from the call makers point of view staining would add time to the production of calls.  It would change how inlays are installed and the actual production of the call. 
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

rutnstrutgamecalls

RE: Call wood staining????

Postby rutnstrutgamecalls » July 5th, 2009, 10:31 am

ORIGINAL: Steve_In

Thank you for all for the replies.  I guess from the call makers point of view staining would add time to the production of calls.  It would change how inlays are installed and the actual production of the call. 

IMO, The amount of time that something takes to do should not be a consideration when making a Custom Made Call. If you were making mass produced, production style calls and want to produce as many calls call as quickly and inexpensively as possible then you might want to take time into consideration. IMO The wood that a call is made out of needs to be protected from the elements. Staining is one way of doing this. Although it is probably not the best. Stain will add some protection to the wood over doing nothing at all. I prefer to seal the wood and then apply several coats of finish. When making Pot calls I apply a Sealer/Finish to the inside and outside of every call I make. I then apply several coats of finish until the desired finish is achieved. When making Box Calls I seal the outside of the call and then apply several coats of finish until the desired finish is achieved. I tape off the top edge of the Box to make sure no finish gets on the edge.

Previous

Return to Call Collecting