Spring season is near!!

psestinger10

Spring season is near!!

Postby psestinger10 » March 20th, 2011, 4:38 pm

Well I am from NY but hunt with my uncle in NH. Can't wait to go turkey hunting. 1st time with a bow!!

Who else is excited??

Paul
"The culture I stand for is sometimes lost into today's society, when in fact society was built on the culture of THE HUNTER. A hunter is more than a predator, a hunter is a provider...a caretaker...a leader. I will never make excuses for who I am....."

retranger

RE: Spring season is near!!

Postby retranger » March 21st, 2011, 3:28 am

Where in NY are you/from? What equuip do you use for your bow hunting? I started bow hunting (deer) a couple years ago and thought of hunting turkeys in the fall as bow season for deer and turkey hunting run together.[;)]
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

psestinger10

Postby psestinger10 » March 27th, 2011, 3:00 am

iam from long island ny. no spring season here only fall. got a bird down here during deer season and one in nh while hunting deer.

i use a PSE Stinger 2010, 70# draw, 27 1/4" dl, gold tip pro hunter arrows, and assorted broadheads depending on my mood that day

you?
"The culture I stand for is sometimes lost into today's society, when in fact society was built on the culture of THE HUNTER. A hunter is more than a predator, a hunter is a provider...a caretaker...a leader. I will never make excuses for who I am....."

retranger

Postby retranger » March 27th, 2011, 4:07 am

I have a PSE stinger (50-60) using the PSE hunter 200 with the MX3 broad head. Haven't contected with anything yet. Have taken my birds with my mossberg 935. Not sure if I would hunt birds with the bow yet, hard enough with the shotgun. Maybe the second spring bird I will try. I hunt in the fall as turkey season runs with the deer season. Have had good luck with the muzzle loader for deer. Where did you hit the birds? I'm told to hit where the leg joins the body or a head shot. I don't feel confident enough to do a head shot. Good luck this spring!!
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow

psestinger10

Postby psestinger10 » March 27th, 2011, 7:55 am

well my fall bird was actually taken accidently. a flock of birds came in under my stand down here on LI nad i had a tag drew back and shot where the neck meets body. bird flopped around and expired. 10 minutes later i had my buck. had to drag and carry 2 animals out that day. not to bad.

the bird in NH was actually easier. sitting under a pine tree and 2 toms strutted by and a shot one threw the back aiming at the spine. took out the lungs and spine. turkeys up there are all over the place and arent to scared arund humans, so makes it a bit easier to hunt.

this year i am ging up in may for a spring hunt with my uncle and have all the decoys ready and have them being scouted allready. also will be prepping spots for fall hunting this year.

i will be bringing my shotgun as well but i am trying for my bow first. good luck this year. I have NY tags for spring turkey, i may go up to my cousins cabin in cortland and hunta few days.

paul

retranger

Postby retranger » March 27th, 2011, 4:09 pm

Hope you get a couple birds. That's a good area down there around Cortland. We have birds here but you don't want to be picky. Good luck

psestinger10

Postby psestinger10 » March 27th, 2011, 4:13 pm

ya i always hope for 1. anything with a bow to me is a trophy. nh should be a blast. only aloud 1 bird all season so hunt could be over in the first morning. i have 4 days in nh and probably will have 2 in cortland. so i cant be to picky...

best of luck in your upcoming seasons.

paul

Return to New Hampshire