Spring 2010

Btalon

Spring 2010

Postby Btalon » May 11th, 2010, 8:12 am

Nobody has posted in here, so I figured I'd start it off.  This year my son who is 10 got his second bird (he got one last year also).  It was 19 pounds, 9 inch beard and 1" spurs.

We had hunted the first day of youth weekend and had no luck, got messed up by another hunter and called it a day as it was opening day for baseball season for him.

That night we roosted some birds and the next morning we went out and set up on them.  I was with a buddy and we called and it seemed like the birds were going away after coming out of the roost.  I left my Lynch 1995 Deluxe World Champion call in the truck and was lost without it.  We called for a while and figured the birds where heading to another field we had scouted, so we picked up and drove to the field to set up and beat them there.  When we got there nothing, we could hear them way back where we came from.  We drove back to set up again and when we pulled in they were in the log landing that we had originally parked at.  After letting them work away, I drove further up the logging road and stuffed my burb in the bushes and we got out and worked back towards the landing.  It didn't take us long, I brought my good call this time and both my buddy and I started calling and both toms came charging in.  My son was rock solid this year (a little nervous last year) and the birds came around a knoll and right out in front of us on the logging road.  We waited to see if they would come in closer, but they hung up on the road and the second bird turned like he was going to head back into the woods so I told my son to take him.  His shot was dead on and the bird flopped and tried to run, but didn't make it far.

My hunt was very easy compared to his.  I roosted birds last night and went out this morning to set up on them.  I walked to the field and heard one gobble from the roost.  I headed down the woodline to get out of sight of it as it was on the other side of a stand of trees that jutted out into the field.  As I was almost across the field I heard an alarm cluck from a turkey and when I looked up there was another one right above me.  It clucked a few more times and flew out of the roost into the field and ran across it to the woods.  I was really upset I did that as I had scanned with binocs before crossing the field and didn't see it.  I continued to work up towards the point, put out my decoy and found a spot near the end of the point to sit.  I used the lynch call to do some soft tree yelps for a while and the other bird broke loose gobbling.  I then used my hat to simulate wings and did a fly down cackle and the other bird immediately flew out of the roost.  When it landed I noticed the first bird break into a strut and it was way above me in the field.  The second bird was within shooting distance, but after I called again the first one dropped it's tail and started running towards us.  I was patient and yelped quietly with one hand as the second bird was well within range.  The first bird came in and started strutting and gobbling.  It worked towards me and I could hear it's wings dragging, it was spitting and drumming and all worked up.  I waited till it got behind a tree and shouldered my gun.  It then came on the other side of it, about 15 yards away spitting and drumming and strutting it up.  I did some mouth yelps and the bird stuck it's head up and I ended my season.  Mine was 19.5 pounds with a 9" beard and 7/8" spurs.

Here are pics of my son with his bird and my bird.

Return to New Hampshire