Spearing Turkeys

charlie elk

Spearing Turkeys

Postby charlie elk » January 5th, 2013, 11:06 pm

How does one go about spearing a turkey?
While reading the NE turkey regs I noticed spears are legal for the taking of turkeys this got my mind a spinning with questions.
Has anyone taken a turkey with a spear?
How would you setup to throw it?
Could this be the ultimate turkey hunting challenge?

If there are any NE hunters here who have tried it or been successful please share, I am really curious how a turkey spearing works.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

turkey junky

Re: Spearing Turkeys

Postby turkey junky » January 9th, 2013, 1:46 pm

hey charlie how you been???

i would assume you would need a blind to do this??? also i have seen some turkeys write out the blind windows but i dont know if i could spear 1??? but i would hunt them like archery turkey shows do a blind in middle of area they hang out put out some decoys close i mean touch n ur blind & then spear chuck away??? im sure tim wells has tried this B4??? lol

what about a blow gun??? i could see people blow darting a turkey!!! seen a show of a guy in CA shoot a turkey with a 22.cal BB gun

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » January 12th, 2013, 12:19 pm

I've used a spear on deer and rabbits, when it was legal in MN. But I don't how you would throw a spear out of any of the pop up blinds, just not enough room. So then you have to build your own? From my experience turkeys are fast reactors; so how do you learn to throw fast enough?
With a turkey close to a blind or even close enough while setup against a tree could be taken with a blowgun. Does that count as a spear?
I've killed squirrels with the blowgun by hitting them head so certainly a turkey would be killed with a head shot.
That CA self proclaimed "turkey psycho" is on to something using his .22 cal airgun. He hunts in areas where that is the only legal method to taking any game. He is a creative fellow indeed and I'm thinking about arranging an airgun turkey hunt myself.
later,
charlie

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 30th, 2013, 9:42 am

I'm not sure you could throw a spear fast enough to get a turkey, unless it was close enough to just stick him with it?
Airguns have been around since the late 1700's, Lewis & Clark use one on their journy across north america with a 40cal airgun, that you'd pump up with an airpump. They took big game with it. Taking a turkey with the newer airguns we have today would be fairly easy?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

dewey

Postby dewey » January 30th, 2013, 1:36 pm

Here is a video from Youtube about jared Allen spearing an elk along with some other animals.

Freaking Crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfmOzW1KEKA

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » April 18th, 2013, 6:41 pm

Hey!
Has anyone in NE speared a turkey yet this spring?
later,
charlie

Return to Nebraska