MSP Star Tribune article about upcoming season

dewey

MSP Star Tribune article about upcoming season

Postby dewey » April 18th, 2011, 5:51 am

Here is a link to a story in the MSP Star Tribune about the spring turkey season. They mention the potential for consolodating zone since there are 81 now. That would be great news.

"We are looking at consolidating permit areas,'' said Penning. The state's turkey range now is divided into 81 hunting zones, and hunters are restricted to one. "We're looking at having far, far fewer,'' perhaps just a dozen, Penning said. That would allow hunters to hunt in far larger areas. "We can reduce the administrative burden for both hunters and the DNR, and not have a negative population effect,'' Penning said.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/outdo ... 35929.html

Enjoy.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Gopherlongbeards

RE: MSP Star Tribune article about upcoming season

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 18th, 2011, 10:42 am

cool article, i like the idea of bigger zones for sure.  would be nice if they'd consider going from 8 one week seasons to four 2 week ones

dewey

RE: MSP Star Tribune article about upcoming season

Postby dewey » April 18th, 2011, 10:51 am

I wish all of the time periods covered weekends. Fewer but larger zones would be nice. WI has a very nice set up when it comes to zones but I think they have a more uniform density of turkeys. In SE MN turkeys are everywhere but in SW I think they are harder to come by. I don't think it would be as easy as a geographical zone boundaries.

If anyone hears anything about public meetings regarding turkey regulation changes please post it on here as I would be interested in attending.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Return to Minnesota