how do you know its turkey season?

Gopherlongbeards

how do you know its turkey season?

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 12th, 2011, 3:16 am

well its definitely begun,  7 out of the next 10 days are predicted rain and/or snow [:(]

arrowsonly

RE: how do you know its turkey season?

Postby arrowsonly » April 13th, 2011, 3:02 am

I have just a couple words, DOUBLE BULL BLIND....
look em' in the eye before you give em' the shaft...
be a man hunt public land...

dewey

Postby dewey » April 13th, 2011, 9:22 am

Here is my answer to the rain/snow. About $60 at Cabela's. Good luck Gopher when season B starts, WOW next Tuesday for you already.

Let us know how you do and good luck to you.

Dewey

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 14th, 2011, 3:33 am

Unfortunately, I don't have a blind, don't enjoy sitting in them, and really don't enjoy carting them around.  We'll just get wet i guess, won't be the first time that's happened, and certainly won't be the last! [:D]

arrowsonly

Postby arrowsonly » April 16th, 2011, 6:54 am

They are the best when it comes to cold weather, for me it's the only way to hunt ! If you gun hunt with a friend & one gun they shur beat being cold & wet. I am almost 98% shur I will not be able to go 348 next week, just got a job after almost two years. It figures [:'(]

My shoulders are still in bad shape and drawing my bow is difficult at best & I am not to keen on wounded birds...
It looks like a cross bow is my next move, anybody what to buy a Hoyt...

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 16th, 2011, 11:33 am

sorry to here that arrows (about the loss of hunting trip,not the job of course [:D]), the forecast keeps improving for next week.  we'll be hunting Wednesday-Friday anyways, maybe Tuesday afternoon.  I like to move around too much to sit in a blind, got used to chasing those merriams in the hills.  I have a feeling these SE MN birds are going to be a whole different ballgame.  Heading down to Rushford at 2:30 am tomorrow to do some first light listening/scouting/trout fishing heh.  3 more days and I'll be chasin um, can't wait!

arrowsonly

Postby arrowsonly » April 17th, 2011, 4:20 am

What's up in SE MN ? Here in NE WI we have 31 degrees with NW winds @ 35 mph & 18 degree windchill along with light snow. Perfect turkey huntin' weather for eskimos...
After seein' next weeks forecast I think I will stay home if thats ok! Rain,Wind, Snow, Cold, sorry boys...
Dewey, I hope to get together[:)]

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 18th, 2011, 2:29 am

yep, weather looks like another #%^% sandwich for this week [:@]

dewey

Postby dewey » April 18th, 2011, 2:55 am

ORIGINAL: arrowsonly
Dewey, I hope to get together[:)]

Hey Scott the offer still stands so if you are game lets do it. I start hunting in MN Friday April 29th so I am excited. I am going scouting this weekend to figure out where the birds are at and finalize the hunting strategy for next weekend. I got 2 friends coming with me that got their first hens last fall and looking to harvest their first gobblers this spring.

Hey gopher it looks like you may have to deal with some rain/snow. I am looking forward to hearing how you do this week.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 18th, 2011, 10:26 am

Yah, its pretty much the worst weather you could ask for.  looks worse than last week if you can believe it.  Not going down until tomorrow, when there's a winter storm warning.  Wednesday doesn't look any better with more snow and 20mph+ winds.  They're supposed to get 8 inches of accumulation in Rushford between Tuesday and Wednesday.  Thursday looks OK, but I'm sure that will change.  And back to rain again on Friday.  If we weren't on the you only get 5 days to hunt system i would just can the entire trip and try again next week.  As it stands we may only be going down Wednesday and hunting thurs/fri.

Next

Return to Minnesota