Dewey's fall MN turkey hunt

dewey

Dewey's fall MN turkey hunt

Postby dewey » November 1st, 2011, 10:35 am

Hey guys/gals here is the results from another successful and very fun hunting trip this past weekend.

We had the turkeys pegged from my father in-law being able to scout them all the time and he knew exactly where they would be and when they would be there so it made our job pretty easy. Saturday morning we get out to our locations about 6:30 and we are about 120 yards apart with me being up a slight hill which you can see in the picture. The turkeys started single clucking in the trees about 7:30 and flew down at about 7:50. Timm had some hens land 10 yards in front of him and he counted 18 hens and 1 very unlucky small tom. At 8:10 he picked out the tom and dropped him and then 10 minutes later I popped my head over the grass to see where the turkeys were at the bottom of the hill roughly 40 yards away. So I single clucked to them in essence copying exactly what they were doing and 7-10 hens ventured up the hill to where I was and I picked out one and when she strayed too far from the group I dropped her at 18 yards. My father in-law hadn’t seen any big toms for a couple of weeks so I was happy to harvest a hen and Timm was very happy to harvest his first tom.

We also saw a big hornet/wasp nest while walking around that I also got a picture of. I thought about shooting it but I figured I couldn't out run the wasps or my buddy so I thought better of it.

I was very happy for my friend to harvest his first tom turkey.

Dewey
Attachments
DSC03412.JPG
DSC03412.JPG (206.63 KiB) Viewed 874 times
DSC03411.JPG
DSC03411.JPG (180.7 KiB) Viewed 874 times
Last edited by dewey on November 2nd, 2011, 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Duke0002

Re: Dewey's fall MN turkey hunt

Postby Duke0002 » November 1st, 2011, 7:35 pm

Congrats, Dewey! Great hunt!

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » November 1st, 2011, 8:56 pm

Congrats to you Dewey! Looks like ya had a fun day.
Is it turkey season yet?

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » November 2nd, 2011, 7:43 am

Scouting pays even if someone else does it. Congrats to you two.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » November 2nd, 2011, 10:42 pm

nice job dewey congratulations
David

You never know, unless you go

dewey

Postby dewey » November 3rd, 2011, 9:42 am

Here is an email I got from my father in-law this morning.

Well guys, thought I should let you know that you must have shot a couple of pretty popular turkeys! I think they had memorial services for them today as there had to to be 50 turkeys by the trailer including several big ass Toms!!! Didn't get a chance to take a picture, will try tomorrow!! I swear the Toms must have calendar watches on, they know just when the season ends!!:-)))

Of course the toms show up after the season is over, GRRR!!! At least I know they are there for next spring.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » November 3rd, 2011, 8:25 pm

Very nice birds. Congratulations.
The toms have the best chance of surviving the winter so you'll have fun this spring.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » November 7th, 2011, 6:26 pm

Nice hunt dewey! Congrats to you and your friend on the birds! No bird for me this fall, although I only managed to get out after them 1 morning the whole season. Haven't had much free time, and when I have I decided to spend it chasing ducks and Grouse. Let the countdown till spring begin :D

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » November 21st, 2011, 12:11 pm

nice birds dewey 50/50 aint bad 1 tom 1 hen!!! i seen a few turkeys chase n grouse this fall but while over in cheese land deer hunting last saterday i herd tons i was more happy to hear the turkeys then all the deer runing around i was kee-kee runing all morning trying to get a peak at them but no luck they were sneaky with all that orange in the woods

Return to Minnesota