First day big tom in MN

dewey

First day big tom in MN

Postby dewey » May 12th, 2009, 3:48 am

Hey everyone, I just thought I would share the story of my first day turkey in MN from this past Sunday.  It all started on Friday night when I see one of the guys that has been hunting the same area where I will be going and he is telling me there is no turkeys out there and to not even bother.  I just said I will take my chances with 4 days to go hunting.  The next morning (day before my hunting starts) I am out there at about 7:30 doing a little calling to just try and figure where they are and I hear 2 gobblers.  So I go out Saturday night with my 9 year old nephew who is EXCITED to go hunting the next morning, we set up our blind and did a little light calling but heard no gobbling, but we did see a bunch of deer.  The next morning I go to wake him up at 5:00 am and he literally jumps off the coach and is almost immediately ready to go.  We get all set up that morning in our blind at 6:00 am and start calling about 6:20, it is really foggy out and the fog is rolling down the hills due to a light North wind, it was really cool.  At 6:25 we here some gobbling not real far away but couldn't convince him to come for a look.  So at 8:00 he is getting hungry and a little tired so we go for breakfast and his dad comes and gets him to spend the rest of the day with his mom and grandma.  I decide to go back out and I am set up at 3:00 pm.  I hear a real distant gobble about 3:25 and I gobble back and wait a couple of minutes for a response and I hear nothing so I decide to take a little nap because it is so nice out.  Next thing I know I hear something off my right shoulder and look out the blind window and there stands a big tom.  As I am trying to get all the crap of of my lap and he is steadily going towrds my pretty girl decoy (2 hen set up) and he gets to her and takes another step to the second hen and then at 3:40 pm the Browning 12 ga silver hunter ROARED and the season was over.  Here are the pictures from that day.

Weight 23.4 lbs, spurs 1.25" and 1.3125" and beard 9.75"  NWTF score of 68.525.  When I register this with the NWTF it will rank #35 in the total score of all MN turkeys taken.

arrowsonly

RE: First day big tom in MN

Postby arrowsonly » May 17th, 2009, 3:21 pm

Nice job Dewey! When did you kill that bird? I left MN on Friday afternoon...
look em' in the eye before you give em' the shaft...
be a man hunt public land...

dewey

RE: First day big tom in MN

Postby dewey » May 18th, 2009, 5:52 am

I got him Sunday May 10th at 3:40 pm.  I only hunted that first day for 3 hours, 2 hours in the morning and I got to my blind at about 3 and by 3:40 I was done for the spring. 

Return to Minnesota