2011 MN Fall Turkey Applications due July29TH

dewey

2011 MN Fall Turkey Applications due July29TH

Postby dewey » July 26th, 2011, 11:58 am

Just a reminder to all of the Minnesota turkey hunters out there that the fall application deadline is due July 29th, this Friday!! Here is a link to the MNDNR turkey hunting website.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/hunting/turkey/index.html

Here is a link to buy your application.

https://jc.activeoutdoorsolutions.com/m ... /goHome.do

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Gopherlongbeards

Re: 2011 MN Fall Turkey Applications due July29TH

Postby Gopherlongbeards » August 19th, 2011, 9:56 pm

Well I got drawn, area 341. Will be my first fall chasing easterns...

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » August 23rd, 2011, 10:14 am

Congratulations and you have an excellent area to hunt. I hunt there most every spring and kill a really nice gobbler every time; so far anyway. During fall I have hunted other species on public lands and I have seen a lot of turkeys on those hunts.
Good Hunting.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

dewey

Postby dewey » August 23rd, 2011, 10:46 am

My father in-law and I both got drawn for our normal hunting grounds (my father in-laws back yard)in zone 239. Out of 300 available tags only 116 were applied for.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » September 6th, 2011, 8:09 pm

everybody i know who applied got drawn for the fall hunt... same as deweys area they all had tons of extra tags left over in there units... fall turkey isnt nearly as popular as the spring or not nearly as exciteing... ive chased them in 4-5 states & only need my OSCEOLA 4 the grand slam & turkey is my fav thing to hunt by far but spring turkey
that is!!! up in minnesota we have so much to chase in the fall i doubt ill ever have the intrest 2 go fall turkey hunting... most of the turkeys taken in the fall in minnesota legal or not are taken by guys out bow hunting for deer or pheasant/grouse
hunters that happen to run into turkeys wear the species home range overlap... for sheer #s & popularity spring turkey season is king... i was ok with minnesota not haveing a fall season for all those yrs... kill gobblers/jakes save the jennys!!!

dewey

Postby dewey » September 7th, 2011, 10:38 am

Hey Gopher when are you going fall turkey hunting? I am going with my father in-law, another friend of mine and possibly another couple of guys the last weekend of October. Depending on how the turkey hunt goes we might also do some goose and duck hunting. Last year we ended up getting 2 hens for 3 guys and those two hens were my friends first turkeys.

Dewey

       

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » September 7th, 2011, 12:14 pm

SAVE THE JENNYS KILL JAKES & TOMS!!!

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » September 11th, 2011, 4:59 pm

Hey turkey junky, appreciate your passion and sorry to jump in here-
There is nothing wrong with killing hens and jennies in the fall. According to biologists 50% of them will not be alive by spring anyway so no harm comes to the flock as a whole.
You sound like you are trying to shame fall hunters into behavior you approve of. I sincerely hope that is not the case.

Dewey Congratulations on those 2 hens last year, way to go. Hope you have a great hunt this year too.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » September 11th, 2011, 7:42 pm

my main argument with the takeing of hens is will it hurt the the overall population of a given areasw wild turkey pop if we save the hens & only take MALES??? being that 50% will die any way HENS need all they protection dureing hunting season being that it only takes a few MALES to procreate & sustain a turkey population!!!??? i may be wrong but i remember a guy telling another on this forum that its not all about killing a bird on a hunt & that there is more 2 a hunt then the kill... more or less shameing a man for wanting 2 harvest a particular sub species on a hunt rather then basking in the hunt/area it self??? it sounded like he was not aproveing of someone wanting 2 particapate in such a hunt??? i sincerely hope that wasnt the case??? being that i travel 2 differnt states every yr trying 2 harvest differnt sub species of wild turkey...
i have a great time hunting reguardless if i take a bird or not & reguardless if its in the MTNS or FLAT LAND... any way to keep it simple CHARLIE ELK there is also nothing wrong with only takeing toms/jakes dureing the fall season... & T&TH hunting only makes 1 fall issue a yr for a reason SPRING IS KING... a lot of guys in our/my neck of the woods just happen to take a wild turkey in the fall season rather then set out to do so... they are sit n in a deer stand & a turkey happens by & they shoot it thats not the same hunt as a SPRING HUNT with birds gobbleing & what not
not that MALES dont gobble in thje fall just not like the SPRING!!!

dewey

Postby dewey » September 12th, 2011, 10:17 am

I am not going to get in a pissing match with someone that doesn't approve of shooting hens as you can have your own opinion. The MNDNR says that harvesting a female/male turkey in the fall is legal and therefore it is OK with me as I am not a biologist and do not pretend to be. I will try to harvest a gobbler but if there aren't any that present a shot I will happily try to harvest a hen.

Good luck this fall with the pup Charlie.

Dewey

       

Next

Return to Minnesota