2013 MN turkey hunt summary

dewey

2013 MN turkey hunt summary

Postby dewey » June 21st, 2013, 10:27 am

Here is a link to an article by the St Paul Pioneer press about this springs turkey hunt.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_234 ... his-season

Minnesota hunters kill fewer wild turkeys this season
By Dave Orrick
dorrick@pioneerpress.comtwincities.com
Posted: 06/18/2013 12:01:00 AM CDT
June 19, 2013 4:51 AM GMTUpdated: 06/18/2013 11:51:16 PM CDT

Russ Peterson of Shakopee killed this wild turkey with a bow and arrow May 17 on private land in Mille Lacs County. To read Peterson's story of the hunt, go to blogs.TwinCities.com/outdoors. (Photo courtesy Russ Peterson)
Minnesota wild turkey hunters are a dedicated bunch.

For a sport that, nationally, is known as a great way to get out and appreciate spring, Minnesota hunters were greeted with snow, followed by more snow, then wind and cold rain.

The weather didn't warm up until the latter part of the season that runs from April 17 to May 30. So it's not surprising that hunters killed fewer turkeys this spring than in most of the past several years.

What was surprising -- or perhaps impressive -- was that the 10,381 turkeys taken was the fifth-highest harvest on record, and it was more than the take in 2011, a year also characterized by a cold spring.

The high-water mark for Minnesota was 2010, when 13,467 turkeys were killed. The 2013 spring harvest was nearly 8 percent lower than in 2012.

"I think if we would have had reasonable weather, we could have well exceeded what we did last year," said Steve Merchant, wildlife population and regulation program manager for the Department of Natural Resources. "I was pleased that it ended up where it did."

There are a number of theories for why hunters were relatively successful, but all are speculation.

In recent years, the birds have filled in nearly every pocket of the state where their habitat exists, all the way from the southeastern corner, where they were reintroduced decades ago, to the northwest corner along the Canadian border. (They don't live in the pine forests of northeastern Minnesota.)

As the birds have expanded, they've provided more hunters more opportunities, one theory holds.
In addition, as more Minnesotans have taken up the sport -- in which success is rarely higher than 50 percent and often closer to 25 percent -- hunters have gotten better, according to another theory.

"I think both those are probably part of the reason," Merchant said.

The DNR also has made purchasing a license easier, and changes in the past few years have meant that anyone wanting a license can get one, regardless of whether they were successful in a lottery for limited early-season tags.

At turkey hunting clinics, instructors often dispute the long-held belief that the best time to hunt a gobbler is at the beginning of the season. Combine that rethink with a licensing structure that allows hunters to wait longer before buying a license.

"I heard anecdotally that some hunters were waiting for the weather before deciding which (part of the) season to hunt," Merchant said. Indeed, DNR data show license sales for the snowy opening days of the season, known as the "A Season," were down.

In Wisconsin, hunters killed 37,804 turkeys, 11 percent fewer than the previous spring. Wisconsin officials also figured the weather was the main reason.

Dave Orrick can be reached at 651-228-5512. Follow him at twitter.com/OutdoorsNow.

I happily contributed to this springs total :D

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

turkey junky

Re: 2013 MN turkey hunt summary

Postby turkey junky » June 22nd, 2013, 2:28 pm

me to dewey finely i could help out in the MN turkey harvest again... feels good... my brother & niece also got longbeards with a bow & arrow & cross bow ill maybe post the pics of them up here???

hey dewey did you see the last outdoor news? my brother said there was a pic & a article in the last months MN outdoor news that said new MN state turkey record & it had a picture of a guy with what looked like a rio grande or merriams wild turkey it was not a eastern wild turkey by any means & they say he may have the next MN record turkey harvest??? looked fishy to me & my brother almost like he tagged a stud KS rio grande & brang it home to call it a MN eastern but it was white in color whiter then most rio grandes are most the time...

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » June 22nd, 2013, 2:32 pm

seen a huge gobbler strut n just a few steps behind a hen yesterday morning man thats pretty late in the game to still not be on a nest or thinking about re nesting but???

dewey

Postby dewey » June 24th, 2013, 5:15 pm

turkey junky wrote:me to dewey finely i could help out in the MN turkey harvest again... feels good... my brother & niece also got longbeards with a bow & arrow & cross bow ill maybe post the pics of them up here???

hey dewey did you see the last outdoor news? my brother said there was a pic & a article in the last months MN outdoor news that said new MN state turkey record & it had a picture of a guy with what looked like a rio grande or merriams wild turkey it was not a eastern wild turkey by any means & they say he may have the next MN record turkey harvest??? looked fishy to me & my brother almost like he tagged a stud KS rio grande & brang it home to call it a MN eastern but it was white in color whiter then most rio grandes are most the time...

I checked the Outdoor News website and I didn't see anything on the website about a state record turkey. If you find a link post it.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 28th, 2013, 8:32 am

I never take for granted the excellent turkey hunting in WI, even in a down year WI turkey kill is 3+ times MN's. Makes me glad MN exiled me to WI. ;)
Still, I marvel at the difference in turkey population between the 2 states that are so similar in habitat and weather.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » June 28th, 2013, 9:04 am

charlie elk wrote:I never take for granted the excellent turkey hunting in WI, even in a down year WI turkey kill is 3+ times MN's. Makes me glad MN exiled me to WI. ;)
Still, I marvel at the difference in turkey population between the 2 states that are so similar in habitat and weather.

Makes sense to me, why would anyone (or any turkey) want to live in MN when WI is so obviously superior :lol:

Return to Minnesota