Deweys 2013 Minnesota spring turkey hunt

dewey

Deweys 2013 Minnesota spring turkey hunt

Postby dewey » May 4th, 2013, 10:14 am

I had been getting daily updates from my father in law about turkey movements on his 20 acre piece of land near Detroit Lakes. He has been telling me about a BIG gobbler and I was going to be on the lookout for him. Friday morning May 3rd found me set up and listening to the turkeys gobble like crazy. There were probably 3-4 toms gobbling with most of them in the woods right in front of where I was set up. At 7:00 I saw the big tom come out of the woods and gobble like crazy about 130 yards down the road from where I was and he wanted nothing to do with my decoys or calling. Over the next hour the gobbling slowly died and I decided to go in and have some breakfast. At 10:00 I head back out and got setup in the same area I had seen some hens at earlier that morning. So I do some calling every 5-10 minutes and then I think I heard a gobble. I wait a few minutes and call again...gobble. so another few minutes pass as I slowly slid over towards the direction I heard him gobble from get reset up and call again...GOBBLE! He is close and closing the distance. Call down, gun up then I see him walking through the snow and ice. I wait for him to get out of the woods then go into strut as he sees my decoys and clearly see that his spurs have nice sharp ends and then...BOOM! The first shot must have been slightly off target as he starts to stumble and I hit him one more time.

I go over grab him and start walking back to grab my stuff and I hear more gobbling. So I took the remaining shells out of my gun and put it aside. Then grab my call and start calling back to the toms. Next thing I know 7 jakes come out of the woods so I played with them for about 5-10 minutes. They would turn to walk away and then I would call. 3-5 would gobble and I quietly chuckled to myself. It was a nice way to end my Minnesota season.

The 3 year old tom weighed slightly over 21 pounds and had nice 1 inch and 7/8 inch spurs and a 9.5 inch beard.

Good luck to all of you still hunting.

Dewey
Last edited by dewey on May 9th, 2013, 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

turkey junky

Re: Deweys 2013 Minnesota spring turkey hunt

Postby turkey junky » May 4th, 2013, 11:52 am

congrats dewey!!! happy the MN birds up in DL are still up there & healthy after this damn winter that wont give up!!!

i think these turkeys are get n tougher? my dad rolled a few this yr & they got up & ran/flew off??? any way you got him on the ground that all that matters & u had a great hunt...

what his spurs & beard go dewey??? 21 pounds he must of been eating good way up north this winter??? congrats again dewey cant wait 4 the pics...

ads1

Postby ads1 » May 4th, 2013, 12:03 pm

That's a great story Dewey!! It's always good when a plan comes together and having a good scouter ahead of time is always a great help. I always enjoy your good comments and value the advice you share with us. Good luck on ll your future endeavors. :D

Terry

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » May 4th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Good job Dewey. Sounds like a very nice bird and I can't wait to see the pics with the little man. After the winter you guys are going through I'm glad to hear the Jakes have made it. Looks like next year will be fun also.

By any chance are you going to make a turkey cape?

bcknuts

Postby bcknuts » May 5th, 2013, 6:54 am

Way to go Dewey.That sounded like a fun trip.

Kevin

dewey

Postby dewey » May 7th, 2013, 11:08 am

Here are a couple of pictures of the turkey I harvested last Friday in Minnesota.

Dewey
Attachments
DSC05410 (Copy).JPG
DSC05410 (Copy).JPG (429.69 KiB) Viewed 715 times
DSC05396 (Copy).JPG
DSC05396 (Copy).JPG (226.48 KiB) Viewed 715 times
DSC05400 (Copy).JPG
DSC05400 (Copy).JPG (173.61 KiB) Viewed 715 times
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » May 7th, 2013, 2:15 pm

very pretty gobbler dewey that birds color on fan is beautiful man ive seen guys shoot turkeys in NE,KS & OK & call birds with that color on there fan rio grandes lol very cool bird most every bird i shot down in SE MN has that dark brown almost burgundy/purple in color on the tail fan the color bird you shot up north are few & far between in SE MN??? i did tag a bird similar to urs in SW WI last yr i called him a ginger color bird like a red head lol

great pics & great turkey dewey happy you had success in MN way up north again this yr ur little man looks excited as well!!!
Last edited by turkey junky on May 7th, 2013, 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BluMtnGobbler

Postby BluMtnGobbler » May 7th, 2013, 5:48 pm

Congrats Dewey, Great bird and story.Looks like a future turkey hunter there with you. :lol:
Brian

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » May 7th, 2013, 10:36 pm

Congrats Dewey! great looking bird (and son) and sounds like you had a good hunt. Only 360 odd days to go until you can do it again....

gouldshunter

Postby gouldshunter » May 8th, 2013, 7:29 am

nice bird Dewey congrats. how long before the little guy joins you looks like he is real interested.

Next

Return to Minnesota