Not Neighborly

User avatar
Gopherlongbeards
 
Posts: 606
Joined: March 16th, 2011, 4:03 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Not Neighborly

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 18th, 2013, 3:33 pm

dewey wrote:
So having a moth long season doesn't typically do much good for the NR hunter unless a NR hunter lives in close proximity to the state he plans to hunt and then would make numerous trips back and forth.


Dewey


SD's month+ season has been a huge benefit to me already this spring, allowing me to reschedule my trip out to the black hills once already (and maybe again here this weekend) due to unbelievably crappy weather the past two weeks out there. If I were hunting MN I would be SOL...

charlie elk
 
Posts: 1090
Joined: August 7th, 2009, 4:50 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Not Neighborly

Postby charlie elk » April 18th, 2013, 6:22 pm

Gopherlongbeards wrote:SD's month+ season has been a huge benefit to me already this spring, allowing me to reschedule my trip out to the black hills once already (and maybe again here this weekend) due to unbelievably crappy weather the past two weeks out there.

Yes, exactly.
Until WI started this unbelievable OTC system I used to travel all over the country turkey hunting each spring and those longer seasons allowed me to reschedule and rearrange hunts several times for a lot of different reasons. Sometimes as simple as I didn't get a bird and wanted to return later in the season.
Many hunters I've talked with this spring have been arranging and rearranging their out of state hunts by the weather forecasts.
One year I hunted WY 3 different times before I finally killed a turkey. Their license then was only $50 for a 6 week season.
Generally length of season was a prime consideration as to whether or not I would hunt a state. MN for many years was the exception because after living there most of my life I knew where to find turkeys and rarely needed more that 2 days to kill one.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

User avatar
dewey
 
Posts: 1623
Joined: January 16th, 2009, 6:18 am
Location: Minneapolis Minnesota

Re: Not Neighborly

Postby dewey » April 18th, 2013, 8:53 pm

charlie elk wrote:
Gopherlongbeards wrote:SD's month+ season has been a huge benefit to me already this spring, allowing me to reschedule my trip out to the black hills once already (and maybe again here this weekend) due to unbelievably crappy weather the past two weeks out there.

Yes, exactly.
Until WI started this unbelievable OTC system I used to travel all over the country turkey hunting each spring and those longer seasons allowed me to reschedule and rearrange hunts several times for a lot of different reasons. Sometimes as simple as I didn't get a bird and wanted to return later in the season.
Many hunters I've talked with this spring have been arranging and rearranging their out of state hunts by the weather forecasts.
One year I hunted WY 3 different times before I finally killed a turkey. Their license then was only $50 for a 6 week season.
Generally length of season was a prime consideration as to whether or not I would hunt a state. MN for many years was the exception because after living there most of my life I knew where to find turkeys and rarely needed more that 2 days to kill one.


Good point on scheduling Gopher and Charlie. Is Minnesota the only state that has such small hunting time periods, besides Wisconsin? I am some what familiar with season dates in quite a few states and none of them have such restrictive dates.

What do you guys think is the reason behind the time periods in Minnesota versus doing a season from mid April to late May? Is MN trying to disperse the hunting pressure by the time periods? I guess they do the same time limit idea in WI.

Thoughts?

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

charlie elk
 
Posts: 1090
Joined: August 7th, 2009, 4:50 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Not Neighborly

Postby charlie elk » April 18th, 2013, 9:20 pm

Way back when MN and WI had few birds and lots hunters wanting a crack at em. The short time period to hunt was thought to be a way give more people an opportunity. I think they copied each other like they did with the turkey reintroduction program.
Once regulations are adopted they develop a constituency or special interest that resists any change. What you get is tinkering around the edges which is how WI ended up with the bounty of weekly OTC tags and MN is stuck on 5 days until later spring.
In MN I think it was the MN Bowhunters Inc. who pushed for more time in later spring then others who use guns thought they should have the same deal...

I don't think there are any other states with these short choppy season schemes.

There are persistent rumors circulating that the WI legislature is going to change ours to a 6 week 3-5 bird limit. This was proposed in 2010 but did not go anywhere. We'll see this time.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

User avatar
Treerooster
 
Posts: 643
Joined: May 5th, 2008, 3:48 am
Location: Colorado

Re: Not Neighborly

Postby Treerooster » April 20th, 2013, 11:36 pm

charlie elk wrote:I don't think there are any other states with these short choppy season schemes.


IA has some different length seasons;

Apr 6 - 14 (Youth Season - Resident)
Apr 15 - 18 (Season 1)
Apr 19 - 23 (Season 2)
Apr 24 - 30 (Season 3)
May 1 - 19 (Season 4)

As does Ill[nois

2013 NORTHERN ZONE SEASON DATES

1st Season - Monday, April 15 - Friday, April 19

2nd Season - Saturday, April 20 - Thursday, April 25

3rd Season - Friday, April 26 - Wednesday, May 1

4th Season - Thursday, May 2 - Wednesday, May 8

5th Season - Thursday, May 9 - Thursday, May 16

2013 SOUTHERN ZONE SEASON DATES

1st Season - Monday, April 8 - Friday, April 12

2nd Season - Saturday, April 13 - Thursday, April 18

3rd Season - Friday, April 19 - Wednesday, April 24

4th Season - Thursday, April 25 - Wednesday, May 1

5th Season - Thursday, May 2 - Thursday, May 9



















Spring: Northern Zone

Second Spring Turkey Season (Northern Zone) - 4/20/2013 to 4/25/2013

Third Spring Turkey Season (Northern Zone) - 4/26/2013 to 5/1/2013

Fourth Spring Turkey Season (Northern Zone) - 5/2/2013 to 5/8/2013

Fifth Spring Turkey Season (Northern Zone) - 5/9/2013 to 5/16/2013
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

charlie elk
 
Posts: 1090
Joined: August 7th, 2009, 4:50 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Not Neighborly

Postby charlie elk » April 21st, 2013, 9:40 am

That's what I like about this forum; I just keep learning things, even things I once knew and forgot.
I have not hunted turkeys in IA or IL and now I remember why. Just skipped over IA/IL into MO over to NE and up to WY. I prefer the states that do not needlessly micro manage hunters.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

User avatar
turkey junky
 
Posts: 745
Joined: June 25th, 2011, 4:46 pm
Location: I.G.H. MINNESOTA

Re: Not Neighborly

Postby turkey junky » April 22nd, 2013, 2:25 am

i ran into guys in KS from MO & IL & both groups of hunters hated there states season dates & mini seasons they just want to hunt & not worry about seasons & applying ETC i kinda liked it in MN as we were being drawn every yr prior to our changes last yr & still are but others who send in as a group in MN were not picked last yr & some this yr??? so the change is to blame they say & they change was makeing the hunt units bigger witch should of maid it more EZ to be picked???

in IL i think you even have to apply for a specific county to hunt in that sucks if you ask me... in MO they have a short 3-4 wk season & 1:00 hunt stop time i dont really see any reason for me to hunt MO with WI so close??? plus MO has a way over priced non resident turkey tag cost i think to keep the non resident hunters away & let the residents have public lands to them selfs at least thats what the MO boys thought i agree

WI NE KS OK all know how to treat a non resident turkey hunter well OK license is a little pricey but you can shoot 3 birds!!! even SD has a good deal for non residents in the prairie units 2 birds 100 $$$ 50 a bird thats decent to me!!!

Previous

Return to Minnesota

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests