TRADE UR UN-USED TAGS IN & HUNT SOME MORE GUYS

turkey junky

TRADE UR UN-USED TAGS IN & HUNT SOME MORE GUYS

Postby turkey junky » January 9th, 2013, 1:41 pm

well i have been gone for awhile guys but im back now you know you could not get rid of me that EZ!!!

any way sorry if im missing something guys or missing a topic some place but am i the only guy who read that MN changed its rules & now if you do not use your tag aka shoot a turkey in your unit & season you choose or drew 2 hunt that you can take your un-used tag & trade it into the MNDNR & with a 5$ fee you can exchange your tag in & if there are any left overs like the last 2 time periods are unlimited in number you can get another new tag issued to you & you can now keep on hunting!!!

that is a major step in the write direction as we should be able to do that even if we do harvest a turkeys but ill take the baby step we maid with this process even being thought up by the MNDNR!!! i only wish they would of kept the old units they had prior to last season i would of been able to hunt from 2nd season all the way threw the end of the MN season if i needed to!!! man MN is always a day late & a dollar short!!!

any way please post feedback on here guys as the new rule is in the MN hunter hand book on 1st few pages under NEW for 2012 i am correct about that new rule am i not guys??? i cant beleave no body else posted this yet??? maybe i missed it if so sorry dewey or gopherlongbeards lol

Gopherlongbeards

Re: TRADE UR UN-USED TAGS IN & HUNT SOME MORE GUYS

Postby Gopherlongbeards » January 9th, 2013, 5:54 pm

I don't see anything regarding this on the MN DNR website, or the 2013 spring turkey regs?

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » January 9th, 2013, 7:36 pm

Hey he's right its on page 2 of the 2012 MN Hunting & Trapping Regulations Handbook, mid page under "Turkey".
Nice catch turkeyjunky. I may be hunting in MN this spring and in the unlikely event :? I don't get my turkey I'll be trading my expired unused license. Much better than making tag soup. :lol:
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » January 9th, 2013, 7:55 pm

Ah there it is. A nice and welcome change indeed :D Honestly I haven't been paying much attention to MN turkey regs, since its so much easier and convenient for me to hunt in WI. Will be nice if I don't tag one on our annual 3-day hunt in SE MN to be able to get a tag for the final week in May when WI is closed :D

dewey

Postby dewey » January 10th, 2013, 12:01 am

Wow! Great catch TJ!!! We have been talking about this for the past few seasons and now it has finally happened and it was under the 2012 Hunting and Trapping regulations but never put under the turkey hunting rules or application process.

Hell this was good last year but I never saw it. Another question should he if the rule has changed as it appears why doesn't the MnDNR push this new rule in all of their radio commercials. I would appear as though this would benefit all turkey hunters and any people that are on the fence about turkey hunting.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » January 10th, 2013, 12:47 am

i dont think this rule was in effect last spring??? the change was maid the same time as the OTC fall turkey tag & no need to apply any longer... the rules in that rule book are good thru the 2013 turkey season...

i dont really agree with the unit changes last year & i dont like them any more now with the chance to hunt multi time periods i just wish they would of kept things the same & let us use the left over tags that went un issued that way we sell the tags that go un used & we give hunters a chance to hunt more then 1 time period just makes more sense to me but that dosent say much... lol

i have not paid much attention to the MN regs either i enjoy hunting else wear much more so i dont have a clue how many tags are were left for the 3-4 time periods if there were left overs for i think SE unit is 502? but if there were left overs for the 3-4th seasons i guess i dont have a complaint...???

i will say that MNDNR is on the write path for once even if we are 2 yrs to late with this hole concept & a few others still going un mentioned just like this new rule that some die hard MN turkey hunters did not hear about from the MNDNR

im still the last min type of guy we still have to go apply ill be doing that tomorrow season B unit 502 i think??? or 501??? better figure that out a??? lol

welcome back to MN charlie hope you get your MN bird you going the DIY PUBLIC LAND route i take it???

dewey

Postby dewey » January 10th, 2013, 12:10 pm

Here is an excerpt from the 2012 Mn Hunting Regulations on page 2 or the link below.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/regulations/ ... index.html

Turkey
• Licensed turkey hunters may change permit areas within the fall or spring season
or time periods within the spring season by submitting their original turkey license
and unused tags along with a $5 replacement license fee.
• Fall turkey licenses will no longer be distributed by lottery. They may be
purchased online, by telephone and wherever hunting and fishing licenses are
sold.

Like you said TJ this regulation is good from July 1, 2012 to June 30, 2013 per the 2012 Hunting Reuglations page 4.

• These regulations are valid from July 1, 2012 to June 30, 2013.

Kind of confusing that the regulations cover half of 2012 and half of 2013 and that you have to look at the 2012 hunting regulations for the spring 2013 turkey hunt. Seems to me that the easiest thing to do would be to have the hunting regulations match the calendar year.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » January 10th, 2013, 7:00 pm

I just think its really strange that there's no mention of this ANYWHERE else. not a peep about it under the 2013 hunt info.. If I was MN DNR I would sure want people to know about it. Now my only question is, what does an "Unused" tag mean? does it mean the season came and went and no bird was tagged? Or just that that particular season hasn't happened yet and you can pay 5$ to transfer to a later one? I could see it being either of these, and they both mean very different things for us MN hunters.

dewey

Postby dewey » January 10th, 2013, 9:42 pm

Gopherlongbeards wrote:Now my only question is, what does an "Unused" tag mean? does it mean the season came and went and no bird was tagged? Or just that that particular season hasn't happened yet and you can pay 5$ to transfer to a later one? I could see it being either of these, and they both mean very different things for us MN hunters.

Great question Gopher I had not thought of it that way but with the rule being very generic it leaves very much doubt in my mind. I mean who comes up with the wording to these rules and who finds the the obscure places to put them. It should be all over the MnDNR turkey hunting page. At least have it on the 2013 turkey hunting application process along with the permit map and other hunting regulations.

I will try to send the MnDNR an email and ask the question.

Dewey

       

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » January 11th, 2013, 12:01 am

gopher asked a good question, at first look I thought heck if I don't fill the tag I get to try again later for only $5. Well that is too good to be true, of course. see section C 1 & 2

Here is the entire law.

[i]Sec. 30. Minnesota Statutes 2010, section 97A.405, is amended by adding a
subdivision to read:
Subd. 4a. Replacement turkey licenses. (a) The commissioner may permit
licensed turkey hunters to change permit areas or time periods within the fall turkey
season, or within the spring turkey season. The commissioner may issue a replacement
turkey license if the applicant submits the original turkey license and unused tags that are
being replaced, and the applicant pays the fee for a replacement license under section
97A.475, subdivision 44.
(b) A replacement turkey license may be issued only if the applicant has not used
the tag from the original turkey license and meets the requirements of paragraph (c). The
original turkey licenses and all unused tags for the turkey licenses being replaced must be
submitted to the issuing agent at the time the replacement turkey license is issued.
(c) A turkey replacement license may be issued under the following conditions, or as
otherwise prescribed by rule of the commissioner:
(1) when the permit area or time period for the turkey license being surrendered
has not yet opened; and
(2) licenses are available for the replacement turkey license permit area or time
period for (i) areas that are not lottery areas, (ii) lottery areas that have remaining licenses,

or (iii) the applicant is a youth hunter age 17 or younger.
[/i] https://www.revisor.mn.gov/laws/?id=277 ... 012&type=0
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Next

Return to Minnesota