fall season

Moore

fall season

Postby Moore » September 24th, 2012, 9:57 pm

I may get into the fall season. any tips.

kygobbler

Re: fall season

Postby kygobbler » September 25th, 2012, 5:45 pm

If your able to go this fall I can promise you will not regret it and wonder why it took so long to do it.

Try to do as much scouting as you can before the season starts. If you seen turkeys in a certain area in the spring doesn't mean they are going to be there in the fall. They are grouped together and have wider home range than the do in the spring. With that being said that also means sometimes you have to be more patient in the fall than you do in the spring.

Unlike in the spring more calling isnt a bad thing. The birds are rather more talkative than in the spring. If you come across a flock of birds you can try and call them in to you or try easing closer to them and when they get close enough go charging towards them like a wild man being attack by bees. If you get a good bust where they go in every direction of a compass then just find a good set up spot at the break up spot. As soon as they start talking pick a bird out and make the same sounds the bird is. With some luck the bird will come to you and all you have to do is seal the deal.
Is it turkey season yet?

Gopherlongbeards

Re: fall season

Postby Gopherlongbeards » September 27th, 2012, 7:31 pm

Steve Hickoff's book Fall and Winter Turkey Hunter's Handbook, and Ray Eye's DvD The Boys of Autumn have been instrumental in teaching me to actually hunt fall turkeys, instead of just blasting one that accidentally wanders by. The strategies and techniques outlined by Hickoff combined with the audio and visual footage of real turkeys, real turkey sounds, and real hunt calling are all top notch. The two of them combined is like a graduate education in hunting fall birds, as well as making you a more versatile and successful spring hunter.

Return to Minnesota