MN spring 2010 youth hunt success

dewey

MN spring 2010 youth hunt success

Postby dewey » April 19th, 2010, 8:02 am

I had the pleasure of taking out my 10 year old nephew on his first spring turkey hunt this past Saturday and after waking him up at 5:00 we had everything set up and we were in the blind by 5:30.  At 5:45 or so we hear the first gobble in the pine trees behind us, then the woods erupted in gobbling and clucking.  The gobblers on the West edge of the property would start and just like a tidal wave the gobbling came from West to East, one of the coolest things I have ever experienced in the woods.  At 6:00 we saw a tom at the end of the driveway that was probably about 200 yards away and then we started seeing birds frly down from the roost.  At 6:15 we see a gobbler across the road and about 15 yards into the trees with his blue and white head going back and forth but I was unable to convince him to come out[:@].  Then at 6:30 we see 2 toms at the bottom of the hill, about 50 yards, away but again I could not convince them to come closer[:@][:@].  That happened again 10 minutes later with a jake[:@][:@][:@] and then at 6:45 I start just calling like crazy and I get a tom to start coming up the hill.  He is going slow and steady an then is directly in front of us at 15 yards and I leaned into my nephew and ask if he sees him, and he says "no" so when the gobbler had his back turned I moved Carson over my way a little bit and then he could see them.  So he says "should I shoot him?"  I said to wait until we can clearly see his head, and when he did my nephew made a perfect dropping shot at 6:50[:D][:D][:D].  The bird had a 9.75" beard, 3/4" & 13/16" spurs and weighed 15 pounds.

Here are the pictures, needless to say we were both very excited.  I asked my nephew after if he thought we would get one and he said he didn't think so so I was happy to get him one.

Picture #1 is Carson 10 minutes after he dropped the turkey, #2 is Carson and a very proud uncle Dewey in front of the house and #3 is Carson, Dewey and my wife and our son and his first turkey experience.

Dewey

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

dewey

RE: MN spring 2010 youth hunt success

Postby dewey » April 20th, 2010, 5:40 am

The Fargo news station, KVLY, featured my nephew on the news that night with 2 pictures and a small story.

Here is the link.

http://www.valleynewslive-ondemand.com/video/archives/april_2010/18/vnl_news_1000_april18_2010.shtml

The pictures and story are at about the 11 minute mark.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

dewey

Postby dewey » December 22nd, 2010, 5:47 am

Here is a picture of the final turkey fan and beard mounted to the plaque we got him for Christmas last weekend.

Merry Christmas to all.

Dewey

       

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » December 30th, 2010, 8:17 am

Very cool
Bet he is pumped for this spring that is, hopefully, right around the corner.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Return to Minnesota