MnDNR fall turkey hunting changes

dewey

MnDNR fall turkey hunting changes

Postby dewey » July 20th, 2012, 3:20 pm

The Minnesota DNR has changed the fall turkey hunting license requirements so that you no longer need to apply for a tag as they are now over the counter. I would imagine that they got quite a few calls/emails lately as the application in past years was due at the end of July. I am still anxiously awaiting the spring 2012 harvest report but no signs of it yet.

Here is the link.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/hunting/turkey/index.html

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

charlie elk

Re: MnDNR fall turkey hunting changes

Postby charlie elk » July 23rd, 2012, 4:29 pm

No drawing plus a month long season, very cool. I'd come over and take advantage but for the price of one NR MN license I can get 8 fall turkey permits in WI with change leftover and Vic gets to hunt with me here. Enjoy Minnesotans and when you fill your tag come on over and visit. :D
Is MN going to legalize turkey dogs anytime soon?
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » July 23rd, 2012, 7:02 pm

Not sure if I'm even going to hunt in MN this fall. The places I plan on hunting in WI are closer, and pretty affordable. 60$ for the non res license and first tag and I can get as many extra tags there as I want for 15$ each, instead of getting just one in MN for 23$. I'll keep my eyes open while waterfowl and grouse hunting this fall. If I happen to locate some birds I might pick up a MN tag. I haven't heard anything about allowing dogs for fall hunting over here Charlie. Honestly I don't know if anyone has even proposed it. The fall season doesn't seem to be very popular, a lot of tags are filled by archery deer hunters.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » July 24th, 2012, 9:15 am

Gopherlongbeards wrote:The fall season doesn't seem to be very popular, a lot of tags are filled by archery deer hunters.

It's the same over here, the majority of fall turkeys are taken opportunistically by archers while on deer stand. Spring only turkey hunters just don't realize what they are missing out on.
I sometimes come back and hunt MN for nostalgic reasons but that is happening less and less these days.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » July 30th, 2012, 3:29 pm

with grouse & woodcock season runing at the same time as our fall turkey season it will be hard for me not to use my new hunting dog to locate fall turkeys in the same woods as ruffed grouse??? i doubt anybody would say anything if u did so??? now if you are runing around in full camo useing your dog at the same time u mite chatch some flack??? just sport a blaze orange hat & hunt till your tired... or tagged out...

yes charlie i do not know what im missing out on not chase n fall gobblers if i was ever to do so witch is really not a intrest to me at all i think i would rather just hunt WI they have much more birds then we do in MN & the number of tags is just a good deal no matter how you look at it??? un-less you have no dreams of filling multi tags at the same time & place??? plus its always better to stumble around somebody elses woods & harvest game aka shoot the place up lol WI has always been a good place for me to do that... lol i guess the fact that hens are O.K. to shoot in the fall still rubs me wrong...

Return to Minnesota