kentucky opener

How was your last hunt? Let's see!
STEROIDCHICKEN

kentucky opener

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » April 21st, 2008, 5:04 am

i had a great kentucky opener last week, however i can't show the pics because i have yet figured it out. the turkey opener was was more like the deer opener...cold,windy,icey, and rainy. i managed to kill my limit of 2 birds, called in 6 other birds where my buddy was able to take one and my other two buddys missed 5 different birds. i hope to post the pics soon.
1st bird-21lbs.,10-1/4" beard,1" spurs
2nd bird-25 lbs.,10-1/2" beard, 1-1/8" spurs
my buddys bird-30 lbs.,11" beard-5/8" spurs  
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventure Prostaff and Cameraman

tracebusta32

RE: kentucky opener

Postby tracebusta32 » April 21st, 2008, 7:18 am

A 30 lb wild turkey WOW!!!
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

STEROIDCHICKEN

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » April 21st, 2008, 8:52 am

i know it may sound ridiculous, but it is true....this bird is HUGE. that is why i wish that i could post the pics....it really shows. every year, we usually get a couple of birds over the 25lb. mark. not sure whats in the soil up there, but the birds are big.  

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » April 21st, 2008, 9:10 am

Oh I don't doubt it, and would love to see some photo's of it. My first bird was a 28 lb whopper. I think the record is 37 lbs...World record beard is 18 inches and world record spurs are 2.25 inches.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » April 21st, 2008, 4:36 pm

Congratulations on a great season. I keep reading about all those great Kentucky birds. I grew up in Hardin County, KY, move to Louisville for word and then to my present home in southern Illinois. When I lived in Kentucky, I never saw a turkey there. I went back and started hunting my brother's land in Larue County, probably 10 years ago and was amazed at how many turkeys there were.

I'm trying to get away and hunt in Hardin County with a life-long friend of mine this season. It seems like something just keeps coming up to stop me.

I'd also love to see the pictures of those birds.

Thanks,
Clark 
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

STEROIDCHICKEN

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » April 23rd, 2008, 8:14 am

thanks allabout,
if you get the chance...go,go,go. the birds are plentiful in kentucky and BIG too.
good luck. 

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » April 23rd, 2008, 8:34 am

WOW!! First off congradulations on your birds Steriod. Second. The reason for the large size is probably a combination of food source and less hunting pressure. I know the area My buddy and I will be in has some large birds in it. The one we saw looked like an Ostraich it is so big. We found this honey hole by accident last year at the end of the season. The area is rough terrain to get to so not many venture it. If there is any way for you to post the pics of your birds please do.

STEROIDCHICKEN

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » May 2nd, 2008, 9:10 am

i finally figured out the picture deal.
21 lbs.,10-1/4" beard, 1" spurs.
i never had this happen to me, but when walking into my set-up spot still dark as can be, turkeys started flying every where over the top of me. after setting up, still somewhat dark, more birds started flying over...i was thinking to myself, i must be at the BUTTERBALL FARM. where are all these birds coming from. so there i was, two birds gobblin to my right and one bird to my left...just hammering it and all where within 70 yards or so. after a few soft tree yelps, here they come, all 3 of them. then, comes the hens flying down right to the two birds on my right and there they go...away. silence fell in and as i looked to my left, there he was staring in my direction...game on time. ice, rain, and snow was steady falling, he seemed interested and then he shook off the ice and stuff and went into full strut walking my way. he got within 20 yards and i gave him a loud cutt and the game was over. probably a total of 35 minutes of hunting time. i cheerish those moments when a plan comes together. 

STEROIDCHICKEN

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » May 2nd, 2008, 9:29 am

here is the 30 pounder that i called in for my buddy.

Return to Photo Gallery • Post your hunting photos!