First time shooting muzzloader

How was your last hunt? Let's see!
jcscofie

First time shooting muzzloader

Postby jcscofie » May 14th, 2008, 9:17 am

First time shooting muzzloader - first shot taken! Iowa Stephens State forest - White Breast Unit - Started working birds(we were surrounded) at 5AM - We split up around 9AM - and I moved in slowly in this guys direction - finally got him to come in struttin at 10AM - about 30 yards.... 20 lbs - 10 inch beard - 7/8 in spurs ... then we moved to another location and my buddy scored a 25 pounder with 1 1/4 inch hooks at 1PM ....

JPH

RE: First time shooting muzzloader

Postby JPH » May 15th, 2008, 6:52 am

Congrats! Stephen's Forest is a beautiful area, but I've never hunted it. Is there a lot of pressure from other hunters?

ct swamphunter

Postby ct swamphunter » May 15th, 2008, 6:57 am

Tagged with a muzzleloader, how cool is that. Congratulations

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » May 15th, 2008, 1:20 pm

Congratulations. That's a good looking bird and quite an accomplishment with a ML shotgun. What kind of load did you use?

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

jcscofie

Postby jcscofie » August 28th, 2008, 8:48 am

Hey JPH, sorry to take so long to get back to you....
If you can hit Stephen's during the week - you can find it pretty lonely ... it get's a little more busy on weekends - specially during mushroom hunting weekends...
It get's hunted - but In 5-6 trips there - we always see and hear plenty of birds... and only had one season there where I was skunked....

jcscofie

Postby jcscofie » August 28th, 2008, 8:52 am

Thanks ct - it was pretty cool .... sure makes you patient when you know you only have one shot!!! Was even cooler when my huntin buddy and I left the woods and met back in the field ... and I asked him where we were going to get his bird.... and he said "yeah right" - he hadn't even heard my shot ... so I turned around and showed him the tail feathers sticking out of my pack... his jaw dropped and I think he was just as happy (and surprised) as I was .... the ML is sure more work .... but it sure is fun...

jcscofie

Postby jcscofie » August 28th, 2008, 9:01 am

Hey Clark, thanks.... Yeah that gobbler really made me work for it.... but after 5 hours of "conversation" with him... I wouldn't even minded too much if I missed the shot ... he kept coming closer - then leaving - then coming closer - then leaving - on and on ... and he answered nearly every one of my calls for those 5 hours....
Anyway ....  the load - hard to remember since it took so long to get back to you(sorry) ... it was 100gr Hodgson 777 ... Knight #5 lead shot (probably about 2oz - I'm not sure - I measured it in a knight shot cup and left the cup about 1/4 inch short of full) ... and a Knight black foam overshot wad....    Looking at Larry's posts - I think I will try going with an over-powder wad - and forget the shot cup (it does leave a lot of melted plastic in the barrel) .... I just feel lucky to have hit the bird being a rookie with the ML - and taking him with my first "live" shot...  I guess patterning it with 4-5 loads at 35 yards - gave me the confidence I needed to hit him when I had the chance...

ljmelea

Postby ljmelea » December 30th, 2008, 7:03 am

Great looking bird,100 grns of triple 7 is quite a load.I've been using goex true black powder lately and it seems to pattern really well.If the geese will cooperate,i'll let'm see some real smoke and mirrors.
good luck

Return to Photo Gallery • Post your hunting photos!