Anyone ever see one like this?

How was your last hunt? Let's see!
StevePA

RE: Anyone ever see one like this?

Postby StevePA » February 10th, 2009, 2:43 am

Back to the original picture...The fat legs are characteristic of domestic birds...as well as the lack of spurs...also the oddly colored beard...
turkeykiller

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » February 10th, 2009, 4:01 am

You know you can tell a wild turkey from a domestic .....its the look their EyE when they see you......[;)]

mark hay

Postby mark hay » February 10th, 2009, 12:42 pm

i just gotta get one of those dig-it-al cameras. i'm sure you all have seen or can remember MR. MAGOO. do you recall how his eyes would bug out of his head ? that's was the look on '' THE HAWKINS ROAD STRUTTER '' last spring . he saw my breath coming out of my face net like smoke from a chimney. he folded up tight and bugged his eyes out , i gave him some hideous yelps with my mouth closed , and he pulled his eyes back into his head and resume full strut with complimentary spitndrum. he died about 45 seconds later . NOW , GENTLEMEN , PLEASE REMOVE YER HATS .
OH , i do have pics ,,,from one of those disposable cameras. he WAS a limbhanger.

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » February 10th, 2009, 12:54 pm

ORIGINAL: StevePA

Back to the original picture...The fat legs are characteristic of domestic birds...as well as the lack of spurs...also the oddly colored beard...

Then how may I ask was he the dominant bird being a domestic turkey? Wild turkeys will beat the crap out of tame turkeys or even kill them.
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » February 11th, 2009, 5:32 am

I am not sure when the rules changed but in Missouri in the 70's and maybe up into the 80's you could legally shoot a Turkey of either sex in the spring with white on it. The conservation dept. was trying to remove the domestic gens that had gotten mixed in with the wild birds. Back then its wasn't uncommon to see a mostly white hen or gobbler with a flock of wild birds.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 14th, 2009, 10:43 am

ORIGINAL: trkynut54

ORIGINAL: StevePA

Then how may I ask was he the dominant bird being a domestic turkey? Wild turkeys will beat the crap out of tame turkeys or even kill them.

Not saying its full domestic...just pointing out domestic qualities in it...My buddy had a domestic hen that was bred by wild gobblers several years in a row...You could walk right up to the hen when she was in the yard with her poults...You couldnt even get close to the lil ones..
turkeykiller

Jeff Sonner

Postby Jeff Sonner » February 16th, 2009, 3:49 am

neat bird-definatily has domestic blood in its lineage

ncturkey

Postby ncturkey » March 6th, 2009, 11:01 am

Cool pictures. I have not seen a turkey like that yet. I did take a smoke grey phased turkey one year.
Mike

OTSDAWA_RIDGE_HUNTER

Postby OTSDAWA_RIDGE_HUNTER » March 10th, 2009, 5:34 am

Agreed.  Look at the thickness of his legs compared to the other birds.  Domestic blood in there for sure but it doesn't look like the others mind much!  Nice pics BTW.

Mack
"Many people talk smack about their skills.....I let my beard board and spur necklaces do the talking"

Previous

Return to Photo Gallery • Post your hunting photos!