turkeydoghunter

RE: Anyone ever see one like this?

Postby turkeydoghunter » February 4th, 2009, 5:31 pm

looks like they came in like pUpets on a string[:D]

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 5th, 2009, 3:44 am

Great photos!

A friend that was hunting my property last spring saw an albino jake. I haven't seen it all winter but have hopes that he'll be around this spring as a 2 yr old.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » February 6th, 2009, 6:57 am

ORIGINAL: trkyklr

the white wing is lackin in the spur dept.  but his buddy's looks good

The white winger is also second in the beard arena, but both whoppers indeed!!!  Do you think it was longer at some point in time before the picture and was possibly broke off during sparring or something else, because this bird is a monster and it is still real thick at the base.  Awesome pictures and hope he shows up for you this year,huh?
"After eating an entire moose, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut."

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » February 6th, 2009, 8:10 am

I've never heard of a royal palm, is that a strain in a certain part of the country?
"After eating an entire moose, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut."

pabeard buster

Postby pabeard buster » February 6th, 2009, 8:12 am

definetly a big bird. lacking in the scoring area, but i like the white wings, and the blond tip on the beard. might not score great but a very cool looking bird. nice picture by the way. was that a hand cam or a game cam?
cluck cluck,
Gobble Gobble Gobble,
BANG!

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » February 6th, 2009, 12:57 pm

That was taken with a Canon Powershot S2 IS with a 12X Zoom. I had the camera on a tripod in my friends kitchen sink and taking pics through a camo blind stretched across the window with a hole in it. These turkeys were in his back yard. 
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 6th, 2009, 1:26 pm

> Do you think the beard was longer at some point in time before the picture and was possibly broke off during sparring or something else, because this bird is a monster and it is still real thick at the base. <

A blunt beard with a reddish-blonde tip likely has two causes-

Most likely it was a melanin deficiency due to a poor nutritional phase. This causes the beard to become discolored, brittle and break off. In some gobblers where the condition is not severe enough to cause breakage, it can show up as lighter colored stripes across the beard.

Secondly, and less likely, in severe winter conditions beards can break off from being dragged through the ice and snow. All of the turkeys we harvested in South Dakota had stubby beards with red tips.

Not sure where white wings was spotted and photographed. If it was farther south without harsh winter weather that would rule out condition number two.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 6th, 2009, 2:43 pm

i thought that due to the thick legs on the first pick

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » February 6th, 2009, 3:37 pm

what do you all think of this white turkey maybe the turkey commander will tell the story.....white trumpets...for white gobbler...Image

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » February 6th, 2009, 3:42 pm

Think I will order my birds from them this year, they are cheaper than my mouth calls.

TB

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Gallery • Post your hunting photos!