kentucky 2

How was your last hunt? Let's see!
STEROIDCHICKEN

kentucky 2

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » May 2nd, 2008, 9:21 am

2nd bird the next afternoon.
25 lbs., 10-1/2" beard,1-1/8" spurs.
this farm was quite according to my buddies who hunted there opening day. they told me not to go because nothing was happening. i went anyway. 3:30, went to my set-up where the birds normally visit. set-up, called a couple of times with no response. 4:00, and here he comes...putting on a show but not being vocal. he strutted down towards me looking for that lonesome hen and then came out of strut. i hit him again, he is still coming. he got to about 10 yards and the hammer came down. 2 days and i'm done. i stayed another 3 days calling in birds for the farmer and his son. called in 6 more birds, farmer killed 1, missed one. the son missed 4 and then finally killed. 

Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventure Prostaff and Cameraman

STEROIDCHICKEN

RE: kentucky 2

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » May 2nd, 2008, 10:07 am

just so there isn't any mis-understandings...both birds that you see in the pic are mine. they were killed on two seperate days. in kentucky, you can only harvest 1 bird per day with a 2 bird limit. that truckbed was my cleaning table.
oh yeah, the budlights were mine, but those have no limits on how many you can have per day....i was in celebration mode for a season well-done. just wanted to clarify before any rumors got started.....  

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » May 16th, 2008, 6:51 am

Congratulations on your kentucky birds, sounds like some great birds and great hunts. Did you do all of your hunting in the first week of the KY season. I managed to kill my birds in the first part of the season but the birds weren't gobbling real good in my locations. I talked to a lot of other hunters who also heard a lack of gobbling this year. I have killed four 24 pounders in ky but i still haven't got a 25 pounder. Boy the weather was great opening weekend lol. Also the birds I was hunting were henned up bad the first part of the season, my second bird was all by hisself though.

STEROIDCHICKEN

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » May 16th, 2008, 9:00 am

yes, i hunt opening day and then usually the next 5-6 days following. our birds were very vocal and receptive...opening weekend weather where we were was terrible...rain,sleet, snow, and windy. it did not seem to have any effect on our birds..they were hot. enclosed is a pic of the bird i called in for my buddy...it was a 30 pounder....the biggest one we have ever taken as far as body weight.  

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » May 16th, 2008, 2:00 pm

That's awesome,  a 30 pounder is something that a lot of people only dream of killing. Looks like a nice beard too, and that 25 pounder sounded like a real nice bird as well. That's the two biggest turkeys i have heard of being killed. Sounds like your spots were a whole lot hotter than my birds opening week. The second week is when things really got cranking around here. What part of the state were you hunting in again, I am in the central part about 45 minutes south of Lexington. Sounds like you had a great year. 

STEROIDCHICKEN

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » May 19th, 2008, 5:41 am

we hunt in guston...which is very close to fort knox. we always kill birds that are over the 25 lb. mark. sounds like you had a great season too. congrats on your birds as well.

turkeylimb

Postby turkeylimb » March 11th, 2009, 2:10 pm

WOW !!

Return to Photo Gallery • Post your hunting photos!