12 year olds 1st Bird.

How was your last hunt? Let's see!
Hondo

12 year olds 1st Bird.

Postby Hondo » May 4th, 2008, 12:19 pm

I know I posted a picture in Turkhunts post but as a proud dad I figured I'd post the whole story of my new hunting budddies promising hunting career!

I took my 12 year old son out for his first hunt on Saturday, April 26th (youth weekend here in NY). We started out in a beautiful spot to watch the world wake up. It should have been hot with turkey too but it was quiet.  Mitch commented on how pretty it was and how comfortable our spot was. after about an hour with no action we decided to move. After about a half mile walk and some stops we heard some faint gobbles in the distance. Hunger and a little boredom were setting in so we called it a day and went to breakfast.
Sunday we went back to our original spot as our friend Billy S. put some birds to bed for us the previous evening. Billy joined us to help call and enjoy Mitch's second hunt. Well what a difference from the first day! We had gobbling as soon as we were within 100 yards of the woods. We got set up near our previous location and set the decoys out in the wheat field. We set out a Jake and a hen. We could hear at least five different birds sounding off on the roost. After a short while the birds flew down and seemed to be moving off. But after a couple of more aggresive calls on the box call wecould tell they were moving in on us and fast!  Unfortunately instead of passing by us out into the field they came directly up the logging road straight towards us. I was facing directly toward the field and Mitch was facing along the hedgerow. The gobbles were growing increasingly louder and I could hear Mitch's breathing respond in kind! (As was mine). Mitch is right handed and the birds were coming from the right and coming so fast that there was no time to move into a shooting position. I could not see the birds due to my position. I asked Mitch if he could see them and he said yes there is three of them. I knew they were very close as the gobbles were going right through me. later I saw were the had walked right up to Mitch within 5 yards gobbling right in his face! He was amazing he sat perfectly still while they gobbled and strutted and drummed. Just what I was hearing was incredible and mitch got to watch everything! They then moved off stopped from walking right over us by a  bit of old fenceline in the woods. They circled around out into the wheatfield and came marching and strutting out towards our decoys. I was able to reposition Mitch's gun and he waited until they came into our shooting lane. I stopped them with a cluck and BAM! Mitch took the shot. Sadly he shot low and missed but as the birds scurried around and then finally off. the three of us collapsed in laughter and high fives as this had been the most intense turkey hunt we had ever been on and it was only Mitch's second hunt ever!
Well the next Saturday found Mitch and I out again across the road in another woodlot. As we got settled  let out a little yelp and instantly got responding gobbles. We hadn't been set up 20 minutes when the boys flew down and headed our direction. This time they passed by us in the woods and we were able to move to face the field were the dekes were set up. This time the first bird was in full strut and passed into our shooting lane. As I clucked he stuck his head up and Mitch took the shot. He hit the bird a little low but quickly recovered and got off the second barrel and dropped his first turkey! It was a beautiful 16 1/2 lb bird with a 4 inch beard and 1/4 inch spurs. Mitch was pumped and so was Dad (me)

Hondo

RE: 12 year olds 1st Bird.

Postby Hondo » May 4th, 2008, 12:19 pm

Here is the succesful walkaway!

Hondo

multibeard

Postby multibeard » May 4th, 2008, 1:32 pm

Congratulations to your son.

Not spooking those close up birds is an acomplishment for any one.

I had the thrill of calling up my grandsons first and second birds. Nothing like it.

ct swamphunter

Postby ct swamphunter » May 4th, 2008, 3:16 pm

He sure looks like a happy turkey hunter. Congratulations.......

Dank

Postby Dank » May 16th, 2008, 7:51 am

Congrats. And that second photo is awesome.
Failure is often our best teacher.

turkeylimb

Postby turkeylimb » March 11th, 2009, 2:14 pm

HE WILL NEVER FORGET THAT DAY.!! GREAT JOB !!

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » March 11th, 2009, 6:38 pm

Hondo
Welcome to the forum and to your son on a fine bird,he must have nerves of steel! Those memories will last both of you forever and this is what it is all about. Good luck to both of you this spring and keep us posted.
Turkeybuster

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » March 12th, 2009, 2:25 am

Congrats to you both, nice bird 
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

Return to Photo Gallery • Post your hunting photos!