Stone Road Gobbler

How was your last hunt? Let's see!
ncturkey

Stone Road Gobbler

Postby ncturkey » April 6th, 2009, 4:01 am

Well here is the short story of a long hard hunt. I settup to try and call a gobbler across an old road. He was with five hens in a field. I called to the gobbler and got him gobbling. But he was following them hens everywhere they went. So I began to call to the hens. I had the hens coming my way with the gobbler in tow. They were real close to the road and looked like they were about to cross over to my side. But some hunter came by in a truck and stopped a called to the turkeys. This scared off all the turkeys. So I went to another area for a few hours. I then returned to the see if the turkeys were in the field. Too my surpise there were three gobblers on the other side of the field. I called to them. One of the gobblers looked my way and began walking toward me. The other two turkeys just feed across the field. The gobbler comtinued toward me. He went behind and tree and some tall grass. He appeared in the tall grass on the edge of the road. He was looking on my side for the hen that was calling to him. He then came down the bank and crossed the road. He came up the bank and there he was looking for the hen. At 30 yards I fired. Down he went flapping. He weighted 17 lbs. 8 oz. with a 10" beard and 7/8" spurs. I took him on my new hunt club in South Carolina on April 2 2009. Now that is the short story. I will put the long version in the turkey tales section later. I left out the hard part. Well here is my longbeard. See Ya, Mike                                   Image
Mike

tracebusta32

RE: Stone Road Gobbler

Postby tracebusta32 » April 6th, 2009, 5:20 am

Congrats on the harvest of a fine looking bird, I hope to be able to get one like that soon [:)]
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » April 6th, 2009, 5:42 am

Congrats. on a fine bird,can't wait to hear the rest of the story.
Turkeybuster

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » April 6th, 2009, 7:35 am

Congrats Mike, I too would like to hear the rest of the story.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

mark hay

Postby mark hay » April 6th, 2009, 11:23 am

congrats feller ,,,,,,,i like your set up ,,,,,had him lookin'

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » April 6th, 2009, 12:21 pm

Congrats on the bird Mike 
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

turkeylimb

Postby turkeylimb » April 6th, 2009, 2:14 pm

Nice mike!!

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » April 6th, 2009, 2:46 pm

Hey Mike,

Congratulations! That's a nice looking bird with good color and a big head. He looks much heavier than 17.5 lbs.

Best of luck to you for the rest of the spring.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

ncturkey

Postby ncturkey » April 6th, 2009, 3:37 pm

Thanks for the comments. Clark yes he does look heaver. He actually weighted more in the field. He weight 18 lbs 4 oz five minutes after I shot him. I am in a few turkey contest for the fun of it. I did not have a way to hang the bird in the field to get a picture of the 18lbs -4oz weight at the truck. On the 1 1/2 hour ride home he lost a lot of blood and fluids. He was still dripping blood when I hung him up at home to weight him. So I took pictures of the 17 lbs 8 oz for the turkey contest. I just wanted to be far to everone.
Mike

dewey

Postby dewey » April 7th, 2009, 6:40 am

Congratulations Mike on a beautiful gobbler!

Next

Return to Photo Gallery • Post your hunting photos!