2009 AZ gobbler HUNT.... PICS...

How was your last hunt? Let's see!
apache_gobbler

2009 AZ gobbler HUNT.... PICS...

Postby apache_gobbler » April 10th, 2009, 7:17 am

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINKS GUYS. IM HUNTING ON MY RESERVATION IN EASTERN ARIZONA, FORT APACHE-WHITE MOUNTAIN RESERVATION.....

Ozarks Hillbilly

RE: 2009 AZ gobbler HUNT.... PICS...

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » April 10th, 2009, 7:55 am

Congrats apache, Those are some fine looking birds and some great pics. If you get a chance to post a story of your hunt's I along with other would sure enjoy reading it.  
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

edwardbrown31

Postby edwardbrown31 » April 10th, 2009, 9:45 am

Now that looks like some great hunting.  I love those hills in the background.  Those birds look very beautiful.

apache_gobbler

Postby apache_gobbler » April 10th, 2009, 11:20 am

PICTURE 1- My son Allan and I went out for a drive sunday evening on this main road that connects two major highways, although there was alot of traffic on this road there were also alot of turkeys. about a mile off the main highway, we hit a group of turkeys heading to their roost but they were too far to try to set up. so we kept driving, took a couple of old logging roads and did some callin, nothing. since Allan had a movie(Monters VS Aliens) starting at 6:30, we decided to head home. i dont know if he was excitied to go the movies or jus being out there in the country, but something made him want to pee. while pulled over for him, i heard a gobble no more than 50 yards away!!! i grabbed him, put his and I's camo on and sat down near a tree jus off to the left of our truck, with the sunset behind us. im pretty sure the picture tells the rest of the story.....

apache_gobbler

Postby apache_gobbler » April 10th, 2009, 11:45 am

PICTURE 2- thats my younger brother Isaiah on the left. His story is pretty quick so ill tell that one first. well, after a morning of missing 3 20-30 yarder strutters that we set up on, frustration kicked in and he went with the old drive by. this fast tom ran right in front of us while we were heading home and it stopped on isaiah's side. he was able to get out of the truck and put it down....
that tom that im posing with i named "the graveyard gobbler". i named him that because he roosted and lived on a ridge top that was above a old graveyard.... creepy huh? well, on opening day we tried callin this one in but no luck. so we tried again that afternoon with the same outcome, nothing. on the second day, still the same, he wouldnt come down. so on the third day, we noticed that he wasnt on the ridge. we set up about 50 yards from the graveyard and sure enough here he comes. he was with another tom and talk about picture perfect, wow, all these two toms needed was a red carpet because everything on them looked so perfect. ok back to the story, he came in struttin and drumming trying to find that sweet voiced hen. when he was within 30 yards, i let him have it!!! one shot of the 3inch-3shot-1300fps-12 gauge shell, he was down for the count. hunting this tom for three was very exciting and it made me learn alot. i still have one tag to fill, so i will be heading back to this spot to see if i can get that other "graveyard gobbler".... til next time, have fun and be safe out there.......

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » April 10th, 2009, 11:59 am

Nice lookin gobblers guys and great stories too 
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

ncturkey

Postby ncturkey » April 11th, 2009, 2:53 am

Congrats apache on some fine longbeard's. Awesome pictures. Love the area you hunt. Hope to get out west and hunt that pretty land someday. Thanks for sharing, Mike
Mike

TomTeaser

Postby TomTeaser » April 11th, 2009, 3:21 am

WOW !! Apache absolutely fine looking birds, Where aere you in relationship to Casa Grande AZ? my parents have a winter home there and man I can see I have to get out that way to try my hand at such a beautiful bird. I am located at the head waters of the Susquehanna River here in upstate NY, we hunt the easteren.

David Brockway

"One Touch Of Nature Makes The Whole World Kin"

William Shakespeare

apache_gobbler

Postby apache_gobbler » April 11th, 2009, 7:12 am

Hey TomTeaser, we are about 3 hours north-east of Casa Grande. When you get to Globe, AZ im not that far away. im looking at our website and it says there are 2 non-member hunts coming up. first hunt april 18-april 21, 2009. second hunt april 23-april 26, 2009. http://wmatoutdoors.org/spring%20gobbler%20application.shtml. let me know, maybe ill see some of you guys out there, im willing to take a drive out...

turkeylimb

Postby turkeylimb » April 11th, 2009, 10:02 am

Apache-gobbler great bird awesome pics.

Next

Return to Photo Gallery • Post your hunting photos!