Arrowed tom

How was your last hunt? Let's see!
coltanlee

Arrowed tom

Postby coltanlee » April 22nd, 2009, 11:38 pm

23 lbs, 11 inch beard and 1 inch spurs. Got him in the pouring rain at Fort Belvoir, VA.

dewey

RE: Arrowed tom

Postby dewey » April 23rd, 2009, 4:28 am

Congratulations on an awesome bird.  I just read your thread on hung up toms and clearly you convinced one to get close enough[:)][:D].  Is it the same one you have been chasing after or another one?  Please share the story of how you guys got that one.

coltanlee

Postby coltanlee » April 23rd, 2009, 2:23 pm

heres the story:

The three of us (in the photo) were gonna get ready to head home for the day because it had been rainin all day and we were standing on a trail chewing copenhagen and shootin the breeze when this ole boy let loose with a gobble. he sounded like he was about 80 to 100 yards away. so we threw the jake and hen decoy out on the trail and sat right on the side and called for about 20 minutes. He never made another noise. bout 10 mins later he come walkin down the trail to our left. The guy in the middle mike, said here he comes. I (on the left) didnt see the bird, all i saw was mike draw his bow back and then saw the turkey come into view. he was about 12 yards from us. He walked up to the jake decoy, looked around, then started to puff up. At that exact time, mike let the arrow loose and i think i was up off my ass before the arrow hit the bird and was after him. He ran about 80 yards and crawled up under some brush. took only 5 minutes and he croaked and thats all she wrote. I think we were damn lucky to be archery hunting  and nailing this bird at 12 yards without a blind. I now have bought the Original Doghouse blind just to be on the safe side and have the realtree realleaf camo suit. it works wonders. Had some sparrows land on a twif 2 feet in front of me when i was deer hunting with it.

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » April 23rd, 2009, 2:53 pm

Nice gobbler, great story

I hope you don't mind but I resized your picture to view it better

Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

coltanlee

Postby coltanlee » April 24th, 2009, 9:23 pm

i thank you for resizing it. hope to bag another today.

Return to Photo Gallery • Post your hunting photos!