Goin' for a ride in the truck

How was your last hunt? Let's see!
Cut N Run

Goin' for a ride in the truck

Postby Cut N Run » April 30th, 2009, 9:29 am

This is a picture of one of my best friends in the world with a turkey he shot this morning hunting on the other side of the lease from me.  There were two turkeys gobbling pretty close to his set-up, he even heard one of them pitch down behind him.  I was back where I like to hunt & didn't hear a single bird.  Last night when testing my radio to make sure it had enough battery to hunt today, I left it on by accident.  I could not communicate with him to see what was happening.

About 7:45 AM my body told me that the chinese food I had for supper last night had someplace it need to go in a hurry, so I picked up and headed for the outhouse by the cabin. As I passed my truck, I got a freshly charged set of batteries and got on the radio to E.P..  I thought I heard him respond by keying the microphone, which is a signal we use during deer season to let the others on the radio know there are deer nearby & it is not possible to talk with them at this time. I was asking him if he had answered me or if I'd just heard static.  The shotgun blast from his direction answered the question for me. He got on the radio to let me know he had a good bird down.

We did not weigh the bird, but it is every bit of 20 pounds, perhaps more.  It has a 10 inch beard and 1 inch spurs. E.P. said the bird gobbled a few dozen times and was coming straight to his calls before he closed the deal with a 15 yard shot.  He got to hear the bird gobble, see it strut, and had it run straight to his calls.  You can't do much better than that.

Jim

Luck Counts, good or bad

Cut N Run

RE: Goin' for a ride in the truck

Postby Cut N Run » April 30th, 2009, 10:40 am

Man, I am computer challenged...I'll re-size the picture and try again.  No idea why it gets chopped off like that.

Try again.

Jim

Luck Counts, good or bad

mark hay

Postby mark hay » April 30th, 2009, 10:58 am

congrat's E.P.

hey that 's another bird with barred tail feathers . or is that caused by the flash?

did ya make the outhouse ?  so the name CUT N RUN  is not how you turkey hunt , but defines what happens during a turkey hunt after chinese .  CUT the hunt short N RUN  fer da outhouse !

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 30th, 2009, 11:09 am

That bird does have barred tailfeathers.  Some do out there, some don't. I thought it was only the bigger birds that did, but my biggest bird from there had no barred feathers.  It is probably about 60% without & 40% with.

Yes, I was able to send the Chinese food where it needed to go before it became a bigger problem than it already was...  I won't be eating that again the night before I intend to hunt.   I'll attach a picture of the outhouse...E.P. built it & he is pretty proud of it.

Jim

Luck Counts, good or bad

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » April 30th, 2009, 11:20 am

ORIGINAL: Cut N Run

I need one of those where I hunt.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » April 30th, 2009, 3:28 pm

Congrats. on the bird E.P. and the outhouse they are both fine looking specimens.
Turkeybuster

mark hay

Postby mark hay » May 1st, 2009, 9:54 am

the way my season has gone , i think i could come up with an out house faster than a turkey .

my compliments to the carpenter

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » May 1st, 2009, 11:00 am

Yes both are very nice. Speaking of outhouse's here is a link to Ray Eye's site and a funny story I am sure you will enjoy.
http://www.rayeye.com/story_theoldchurch.asp
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » May 1st, 2009, 11:24 am

Congrats on a very nice gobbler
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » May 1st, 2009, 11:27 am

Hillbilly that is a good outhouse story that sounds like something that would happen around here!
Turkeybuster

Return to Photo Gallery • Post your hunting photos!