Couple stories from this past spring

How was your last hunt? Let's see!
neckringer

Couple stories from this past spring

Postby neckringer » June 6th, 2009, 3:23 am

Im new over here. Ill share some pics and stories from this past spring

Well my buddy Kit and I headed deep into the cypress Friday afternoon on foot.
It was a decent walk out with the cloud cover and wind. We were going to stay and hunt Sat and Sunday but backed out early. Half way though our hike my heels started hurtin so I put on another pair of socks. When I pulled my boots off I was a little pissed when I saw the blister that were starting. I was also getting a little worried as we were not finding much water. The way were figured we would need water by the time we got to our destination.
When it boiled down to it here is what I packed.
Here is what that looks like on your back.
Here is Kit and his sissy size pack
So as we made our way to our camp site we really got worried about water. We knew we would have to dig in a flag pond as they all were dry.
We set up camp and headed out with sore backs and feet to get some water. We hit the middle of a swamp apple pond and started digging in the muck. We hit water about a foot down and cleaned the hole twice before dipping and running through coffee filters. We got 4 gallons and headed to camp.
Here is what our water looked like.
We boiled some, filled our camel packs and layed in our hammocks as the sun was going down. Here is a pic of kits nice jungle hammock made by Clark.
While eating an MRE and watching the sun go down a bird fired off twice on the roost to the south east of us. Awsome! Game on tommorrow.
We slept well! We got up early to grab a bite and head towards the roosted bird.
The bird started crankin at daylight and we worked our way (a lot further than I thought) to the strand he was in. There was also another bird gobblin in the strand across from loud mouth so we eased between them and hunkered down about 100yds from 2 diferent birds in 2 different directions.
A quick game of paper, rocks, scissors put kit as the shooter. Dang it!
So I got out my slate and let him know there was a lone hen waiting for him in the myrtles to the west of him. 10 minutes later he was blowed up 15 yds from us and Kit sent him a flurry of #5's. Shoot I bet it was 6:50 or 7:00. We stayed calm for a while then let out some war woops. I looked in the direction of bird number 2 and told him Id be back next year.
With my turkey season in front of me I decided to pull out and get my heels rested for the wars to some. So we went back to camp took some pics and started the long hike out.
Kit's bird had 8 3/8 with 1".
What a hunt!!!! No more callin birds up for other folks this year.
Oh if you are wondering. My heels are just great
Time for rest. That 15+ miles in a day and 1/2with 40 lbs on your back is tuff.

neckringer

RE: Couple stories from this past spring

Postby neckringer » June 6th, 2009, 3:24 am

Man I need to get off this guiding(for fun)  stuff. Basically I did not get drawn for any Fl hunts this year and a buddy whom has never killed one and has little time in the turkey woods got a pretty good hunt. I told him I would go with him and help him get a bird. As the hunt approaches I get a call from another guy that gave me a permit. Now I got to get him one and me one in three days on a place that had been pretty shot up by looks of the check out board. Friday we had a beast at 55 yds for 45 minutes and could not call or creep em. Sat after a lot of work my buddy got to smash one. I knew multiples were commin but we had knelt down in the wide open and I was not worried so much about mine. It was a good hunt with swimming of canals and all.
Sunday I was not able to get my bird and hunt ended.
Put a lot of miles on my blisters I mean feet and jOe the mole skin worked great!!!
Here are some pics from the weekend.
CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE GATOR???????? :o

neckringer

Postby neckringer » June 6th, 2009, 3:26 am

This turkey season has been beatin me up pretty bad. I know some folks that are smackin em good and a lot of others that are just having a hard go at it. I have been havin a tuff time for sure.
 My #1 hunt club is flooded to the gills and has moved the birds where I cant get at em. Blueberry farmin has been way too much work just trying to keep the standin water off the rows. So when I have been up to hunt there was much work to be done on farm and farm house. I hate to stop hunting henned/flocked up birds at 10:00 in the mornin but that is what I had to do the first week.
I hunted a good bit the first week of Ga turkey season with nothin but some close calls. I ran back up this weekend for three days and was able to score due to some of the lessons the birds gave me during the first week.
Friday morning I killed a good bird I nick named Zig Zag. He would come from a long ways off gobblin the whole way in and hang up 60 yds out. Then around 9:00am he would zig zag his way through some planted pines gobblin about every minute. I finally zigged when he zagged and we met at 30yds. Nice bird to boot.
11.25 and matching 1.25 spurs. FINALLY
I went to go check out my cousins pond house after killin the bird too see if it was going to make it. Well it finally got inside and messed up the cabinets, range, fridge etc. Usually you park a car in front of this and the back half is on stilts.
Friday afternoon my Dad finally connected with a bird that had been givin him a fit.
Bird stood up behind some palmettos 10 yds away and he layed em out.
jelly what?
Saturday mornin a bird I had messed with a couple of times broke my dads heart. So I told him to go over around 3pm and try and find em. He said "Nah you go" so I did. Took me a while of creepin but finally saw him feeding on a oak hill about 60 yds out. I sat down scratched the leaves, clucked a couple of times and he came at me on a dead run. Shot em at 12 yds and it appears I almost missed as I should have taken his head off. Another nice bird. With a 11 and 7 inch beards with 1.125 and 1 spurs. Hey Im almost feelin like myself

mark hay

Postby mark hay » June 6th, 2009, 4:25 am

Mister that is a fine job of sharing this springs encounters .Super job on the pics too.
Just looking at the pic of your heels makes me hurt all over . I hope you got healed up ok.
That gator looks like he lost his bottom lip and then some .
Got to admire anyone that will carry that much weight and walk that far to hunt turkeys , especially in that climate . I couldn't do , though I wish I could .
congrat's on your success , I enjoyed your post.
Mark

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » June 6th, 2009, 5:20 am

Man you guys have a different style of hunting down there and it's not one for sissies. 

Are ya'll former Army Rangers are something?

I envy the effort and committment that it takes to truck deep into a swamp, find and purify your water, and then go out and kill a turkey.

Sounds like a great hunting experience and congrats on the bird

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » June 6th, 2009, 11:02 am

First of all, welcome to the forum sounds like you will be a great addition. Those are some great pics and sounded like some awesome hunts. Congrats on your birds and thanks for sharing. One thing about it, the bird your dad shot wasnt going nowhere

nhtrkybstr

Postby nhtrkybstr » June 6th, 2009, 1:59 pm

great post, neckringer!

I have to agree with bobby. You boys take turkey hunting to a whole other level!

Congrats on some fine birds!
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

wingbone

Postby wingbone » June 7th, 2009, 7:37 am

Neckringer, that was a fantastic photo rendition of your spring hunts. Thanks for sharing, made me feel like I was right along side you. (except my feet are all nice and comfy in my bunny slippers.)

Congrats on a successful season. Great birds and great photos.

neckringer

Postby neckringer » June 10th, 2009, 4:59 pm

ORIGINAL: Bobbyparks

Man you guys have a different style of hunting down there and it's not one for sissies. 

Are ya'll former Army Rangers are something?

No far from it. Just grew up hunt in the only terrain we could not conquer the indians in[;)]

thunderchicken

Postby thunderchicken » June 11th, 2009, 11:56 am

Those Oceollas are beatiful birds! Great pics and stories! Thanks so much for sharing!
Impatience is hard to ignore, but patience puts the bird in the truck!

Next

Return to Photo Gallery • Post your hunting photos!