Bowkill Turkey

How was your last hunt? Let's see!
HoytsnHDs

Bowkill Turkey

Postby HoytsnHDs » May 18th, 2009, 9:56 am

May 12th, 2009 bird. 21lbs, 8 3/4" beard, 3/4" spurs.
Harley riding bow hunter!

Fan Club

RE: Bowkill Turkey

Postby Fan Club » May 18th, 2009, 3:40 pm

Mark-

Welcome to the forum! Nice bird. I resized your photo in the Michigan forum as well, no charge...but we would appreciate it if you would share your hunt story with us.

thanks,

Jeff

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » May 18th, 2009, 4:39 pm

Nice gobbler, I like your avatar [:D]
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » May 19th, 2009, 3:34 pm

Nice bird and great pic.

Bar X Bar

Postby Bar X Bar » May 19th, 2009, 5:35 pm

Yep, Great Bird!  I'd also love to hear the story on that tom.  How far was the shot- how'd you get him that close, and what type of broadhead?
Ethan Savitsky
www.PecosBarXBar.com

HoytsnHDs

Postby HoytsnHDs » May 21st, 2009, 10:02 am

ORIGINAL: Fan Club

Mark-

Welcome to the forum! Nice bird. I resized your photo in the Michigan forum as well, no charge...but we would appreciate it if you would share your hunt story with us.

thanks,

Jeff

Sorry about the delay on the story but you know the old saying "born to hunt- FORCED to work" so after a weekend shift of 3-12 hour days I was ready to hit it. I hunt a 500 acre farm in Midland County along with my son- in- law we have 2 blinds allready in place. Tuesday May 12th I head out well before daylight and set up my b-mobile and 2 hen decoys at blind #1. Well you can probably guess where most of the gobbling started at flydown time, yup blind #2! I decided to wait it out for a while because the 2 track I sat on the birds travel quite often. After the gobbling and hen yelping quieted down at location #2 (400- 500 yards away) I figured that was it, the hens are not in a sharing mood and took the toms I heard the opposite way. About a half an hour of every other bird in the area sounding off, I hear a gobble so close I thought he would blow over my portable blind! (this is where I figure he saw the decoys). He comes strutting in following 3 hens and goes straight for b-mobile for a challenge of sorts, drawing my Hoyt Vectrix bow and settling the pin on him I clucked once, he turns and streches his neck up, I release the arrow and the G5 Tekan II broadhead takes him through the vitals at 20 yards. He drops like a rock, hens start putting and scrambling, and behind my blind I hear another close tom gobble. I look back through the screen window and see a bird bigger than the one I just shot! Oh well, I guess my son- in- law will have to go after him! Not the biggest bird I've ever taken but at 21lbs, 8 3/4" beard and 3/4" spurs with a bow I more than happy with it. And thanks for the resize on the pic!
Harley riding bow hunter!

jedipastorken

Postby jedipastorken » May 21st, 2009, 3:41 pm

Great bird and great story!  Thanks for sharing.

ncturkey

Postby ncturkey » May 22nd, 2009, 2:17 am

Great looking turkey. What kind of blind was you using. Thanks for sharing, Mike
Mike

wingbone

Postby wingbone » May 22nd, 2009, 3:24 am

Great story and bird. I tip my hat to you bow hunters. I hunt deer with the bow but can not imagine taking a mature gobbler with one. I did a lot of calling for my sons and other people this year bringing eleven birds to gun range, maybe one of those would have offered a bow shot. Maybe.

That is a true trophy!

JW

Postby JW » July 1st, 2009, 12:12 pm

Nice bird and a good story to go along with it. Congrats on the bow kill. I hope to take one with my bow someday soon.

Next

Return to Photo Gallery • Post your hunting photos!