a memorable mothers day 2009

How was your last hunt? Let's see!
nyturkeyhunter

a memorable mothers day 2009

Postby nyturkeyhunter » January 27th, 2010, 3:29 am

last season on mothers day i took my brother out for the first time turkey hunting, a deer hunter his whole life, so this was going to be a cool experience. i brought him to my spot where i guarentee birds to be. sure enough they were there, 3 different birds gobbling but you could tell one was a jake. you could tell my brother was a excited because the sound of the first gobble brought a whispering excited "oh s***"!! i almost started to laugh a bit. within a minute of them hitting the ground i had one in our lap. as it came around the blow down, i could have sworn i saw a big paintbrush of a beard, so i said shoot!, the bird was only 5 yards so he was getting a cool experience. the bird went down and we went up to it but it was a jake! my head must have been full of anticipation haha. so i said lets go somewhere else and get you a real long beard. so we drove to another spot i hadnt hit yet that season. i started to call from an island of tree out in a feild, well out of the other patch of woods here comes the parade, i wish i had the video camera. turkeys just kept coming out, but they were about 200yards away, slowly but surly coming. after about a bit over an hour they were at 60yards and that last little but took forever, but in total i had just called in in one flock, 17 longbeards and jakes!!. as they inched there was closer we were picking out the ones we wanted, there was one that strutted the entire time, my bro was adiment that he wanted that one so i was ok with it, as i looked over all the birds, one i noticed his beard never left the ground it just kept dragging, so i was thinking to my self now thats the one I want haha. finally they closed the distance to about 40ish and they were walking from right to left so i didnt think they were gonna get closer. i told my bro get ready on your bird and on 3 were shooting. so when we both could get a clear shot which that took a minute for both of us to get one haha i said 1...2....3SHOOT....BOOOM. there it was 2 birds stone dead. i couldnt believe it, it was awesome and for basically his first hunt..unforgetable. we got 2 real nice birds..basically his first and biggest 20lbs 9 7/8in beard and 1 1/8 spurs...and then my biggest..i knew this sucker was big lol....23lbs 12oz 12inch beard and 1 1/4 spurs...it was an awesome morning well never forget i just wish we had the video camera...im gonna try a pic, well see if it works.

Fan Club

RE: a memorable mothers day 2009

Postby Fan Club » January 27th, 2010, 4:42 am

Welcome to the T &TH forum, Mike. That's a great pic, your brother still has a stunned look on his face!

It's gonna be tough to top that first hunt for excitement but I'm sure you both will have fun trying.

<-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

nyturkeyhunter

RE: a memorable mothers day 2009

Postby nyturkeyhunter » January 27th, 2010, 5:10 pm

thanks, yeah it was a great experience...oh yeah im the one on the right

Return to Photo Gallery • Post your hunting photos!