A memory forever!

How was your last hunt? Let's see!
Fargohunt

A memory forever!

Postby Fargohunt » January 9th, 2010, 11:53 am

Hello all,

This will be my first post...and perhaps a long one, but hang in there, it's a good story.  I have wanted to write on a few other forums, but frankly I still can't stop thinking about last spring--my first turkey hunt here in upstate/western NY.

Some background is essential.  The story goes back to just about 1 year ago, when not long after deer season, I told my brother in law that we should try turkey hunting.  The reason for this was due to an exciting side story that ocurred on October 26, 2008.  At about 10:30 after sitting in the tree stand since 6am, I decided I had had enough for the morning, but before I gather my bow and the rest of my gear, I'll have one one look around and sit real quiet.

Then I heard it--a short soft putt or yelp and then another.  Wait just a minute, I know that sound, even though I am not a turkey hunter.  I turned slowly and about 30-35 yards behind the tree were several hens and a few jakes with 3 toms still shadowed in the brush behind.  Okay, so they don't see me, wait maybe I could get a shot off?  So I stood slowly, they didn't see me, [;)]I grabbed my bow, they still didn't see--how is that possible?[;)]  So I clip on the string and gauge the distance and figure, hey, what's the worst that can happen...I miss?!  The jakes retreated in the brush feeding and the toms never came out, okay, so let's let one fly and a hen--there in season.  I guage the distance at 35 yds--not an easy shot at a deer, but a turkey with a 4-5" kill zone!  Ah what the heck--I am a good shot, I practice every day during the season... so steady now, I draw and pick one out and aim 8-9" high and let it go--spot on...pinned to the ground--wholly crap, I did it![:D][:D]

Well now, I guess NOW I am a turkey hunter![8D]  So this leads us to winter 2009.  I told my brother in law I was going to teach my self how to call and get ready for May 1st--oh sure you are!  Hah!  So I bought a pot from Gander Mtn and couple strikers and got to work.  At the time I worked for myself so I could practice whenever I wanted while sitting at the computer and so I did.  It was a blast, I made some real ugly sounds for quite some time, bought a couple tapes and listened a lot to the Primos web site and other sites to listen to other experienced callers as well as to natural birds.  Finally I started to at least get the hang of it.  So jump ahead to mid-April.  I head out to his land we hunt and start scouting.  On my first day after walking for hours, along about 5:00 I got set up along the edge of one of our food plots, about 10 yards into the woods. This is an area I have seen the birds several times during spring while shed hunting and thought they may be roosting near by.

I am in full camo and have a video camera and a pot call.  I get set and get my gear ready and send out a few yelps--I am immediately cut off by 2-3 gobbles!  They are off to my right across the open field and just on the other side of the hedgerow--say maybe 200 yds out.  Are you freaking kidding me?  So I wait for about 3-5 minutes and try some moderate yelps and again they holler back, so I look up and see three red heads break through the hedgerow!  Now I start to shake, but I grab the camera and start filming.  It turns out to be 1 tom and 2 big jakes and geuss who is in full strut as they come down the field in search of the sweet hen who was calling?

Remember, I am not experienced and this is my first time in the field calling and I have turkeys walking right to me.  But then it hits me--don't call again and don't think of moving a muscle--you DON"T want them to actually find you and possibly see you and get spooked off.  It is now about 6:15pm.  I watched this tom and the jakes strut for over an hour as several hens came out of the woods below me about 100 yards and fed out into the food plot--a perfect stage for the gobbler and for me with a front row seat!!

About dark they all filter into the woods and I can hear them fly up to roost.  I waited till it was reall dark and slowly walked out--guess where I'll be opening day?[;)]

So now I have about 3 weeks till opening day and I thought about trying to work a mouth call--sure, nothing like waiting till the last minute huh?  Nonetheless, I had nothing to lose.  I told my brother in law all about the encounter--he was excited, but I could tell he wasn't nearly as excited about the approach of opening day as I was.  So it arrives, opening day is tomorrow--It feels as though I have waited for this moment for eternity.  I recall all the practice calling all winter, about the 5 books I have read, all the video clips I have watched and the tapes I have listened to...I have done my homework--I really have.  I hardly sleep a wink the night before, all my gear is ready and I am hunting alone.  I have my decoys, 2 hens and a jake, my brother in law's shotgun--don't even own one myself, my bow hunting camo, no face mask, but in my mind I am ready like never before! But get this, they are predicting a lot of rain and wind.[:o]  So I dawn my golf rain gear underneath the camo, I arrive plenty early and it is raining absolutely sideways, I kid you not, at 5am.  I am standing, ready to go, thoughts racing through my head...I know exactly where I am setting up, the decs will be in the open gas line and I'll be tucked behind two large tree stumps about 20 yds away in the woods.  Still sideways at 5:15...5:30,,come on now I was prepared to hunt in rain, but this is stupid--don't do this, not today![:@]  It HAS TO STOP soon or else it will get light and then I can't set up the decs.  Suddenly, inexplanably it stops--it really does, so at 5:45am I grab my stuff and head out on a dead run across the cut corn field to get to my spot.[:)]  I arrive, but totally soaked with sweat--hardly notice I am so unbelievably excited!!

I move slowly in the open grass gas line and set out the decs and start walking to my set up..I get only 5 steps and he sounds off!!!! [:D] Wholly crap, this may happen.  I quickly get set up--I am about 100-120 yards away from their roost and within the next 10 minutes he sounds off about 10 more times.  It's 6:10am and all gets quiet.  I think to myself, oh no! I can't use my slate pot since the rain is dripping so much off the trees, I have use the mouth call--with my whopping three weeks of practice![:-]  This can't be happening!  I hear a few birds fly down and think, was he one of them?  A few more go down, away from me , but still only 150 yds away and then he gobbles--he is still in the tree.  So I wait a few more minutres and I hear him go down and I let him settle in.  I hear the hens start some soft yelps so so do I and then the boss starts barking back to me--well, this is interesting I guess I must be doing something right?  This goes on for a few minutes and I can tell they are moving away, the girls are leading them astray.  So I remember my winter reading and think, hey try some hard loud cutts and follow it up with some resounding yelps and see what the hen does and so I do, but it isn't the hen who yells back, the toms bellows.  Yikes!  I do it again and he sounds off again. I sit quiet and wait 5 minutes, be patient I tell myself he knows where you are and he sounds interested, but NOT of you keep talking to him.

I cutt again and then throw in a few softer yelps and I am cutt off by not one, but three gobbles and guess what, they have cut the distance in half--wholly crap, here they come, you better get ready and lay the full choked 1100 across the stump.  I wait a couple minutes and offer a few soft yelps and they all sound off again, but I can tell they are just across the open gas easement, not 60 yards away.  I know they can't see me, but they can see the decs in the open grass.  I gotta tell you, when they roared, they sounded as though they were 3 yds away!!  Okay, it's time to shut up and take aim--Guys, I simply can't express what is going through my mind at this point, but I know you have all been there before.

It all happened so fast after that, I looked up from where I heard the last gobble and saw him running across the gas line going right up to the jake.  The other two seemed to hold back.  I immediately saw a long beard and at that same instant he jumped up on the jake and started spurring the snot out of him.  He wouldn't stop and then he stapped the jake dec off his peg.  Right then he started doing the ole pigen head waltz going around in circles and I knew it had to be now or never because he had a real sense of urgency and I knew he was going to run.  Baaa....boommmm!

Down he went at 23 yds and it was over.[:D][:D][:D]  What just happened is all I could think of, what just happened??  When I got to him, that's when it hit me...I have done it...all that hard work has paid off--I damn near fainted.  I couldn't stand for nearly 15 minutes.  This was my first and only official turkey hunt, May 1st, 2009!  How in the world do I ever top that?  I simply can't, but that's okay, for that hunt will be with my for the rest of my life and always seem as thought it happend yesterday!!

For the record, he was 21.5lbs, 9.5" beard and his spurs were 1.1/4"R and 1 3/16"L.  One heck of a nice Gobbler I thought, especially for my 1st.  I don't remember walking back to the barn...seems like I was walking on clouds.  I have hunted with a bow for 30 years and taken some nice bucks, but I can say with all honesty, that I have never been so excited while hunting, or even during the preparation in my whole life--needless the say, I am hooked and hooked deep![:)][:)]

Sorry for the long-winded story, but for those who hung in there and read it all, I hope you enjoyed it and I hope it brought back some fond memories of your first hunt.  I will attempt to add a picture of my and the tom, but I am not sure how to attach.  If it fails, can someone offer some helpful tips?

Steve_In

RE: A memory forever!

Postby Steve_In » January 9th, 2010, 7:56 pm

Welcome Scott and GREAT FIRST POST.  [:D]Keep them coming.  Congrats on the first Gobbler too.[:)]

Go to the help section for picture posting info.  If you are on dial-up you may have a long wait, but do not rush it or do anything else on your computer while uploading.  When it is uploaded check the box
Embed picture in post

http://forum.turkeyandturkeyhunting.com/tt.aspx?forumid=17
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Fargohunt

Postby Fargohunt » January 10th, 2010, 10:39 am

Steve,

Thanks...didn't think anyone would actually read the post--no matter really, I wrote it for myself and if some took the time--well than a bonus.  It is amazing, but I can remember every detail (couldn't tell could you[;)]) about that hunt.  In certain respects, it was too easy and though that  s my first hunt, I hunted many more times through the month and was never cloae again.  Last year was a great learning experience in so may ways.  While the hunt was special, I would enjoy it more with a buddy to share it with.  Next week, I am going to attend a local chapter mtg of the NWTF and see if I can't meet some good folks.

I'll try the picture again.

Fargohunt

Postby Fargohunt » January 10th, 2010, 10:48 am

Well, that didn't work...man this is frustrating![:@]

Okay, so I sized my picture down first to about 800 X 800 and I checked the box  (embed picture in post) then hit click here to upload then I browsed for my pic and hit ok, but nothing happened??

Fargohunt

Postby Fargohunt » January 10th, 2010, 10:54 am

So did I say that this IS frustrating...![:@][:@]  What am I doing wrong.  Any help out there would be most appreciated, but your directions may need to be literal--thanks!

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » January 10th, 2010, 1:10 pm

Scott go to your post click edit and click the embed box now.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Fargohunt

Postby Fargohunt » January 10th, 2010, 2:57 pm

Steve,  your a patient man...guess you have to be to be a successful turkey hunter, but I did that, twice as a matter of fact and as you can see, still nothing![:'(]  My picture is a jpeg file, does that in some way negatively affect what I am trying to do?  I wouldn't think so.

Fargohunt

Postby Fargohunt » January 10th, 2010, 2:59 pm

Okay, this is getting stupid..I tried checking the embed box before I uploaded and then after I uploaded, but still the same damn results--NOTHING![:@][:'(]

Fargohunt

Postby Fargohunt » January 10th, 2010, 3:08 pm

I made the picture smaller...maybe this time?

Fargohunt

Postby Fargohunt » January 10th, 2010, 3:11 pm

OHHH sure! That worked well!  Steve, is it my computer, or do you see a box with a red X in the middle and the attached clip below, but NO picture.

Next

Return to Photo Gallery • Post your hunting photos!