4-10-10 Jim's N.C. Opening Day

How was your last hunt? Let's see!
Cut N Run

4-10-10 Jim's N.C. Opening Day

Postby Cut N Run » April 10th, 2010, 1:02 pm

It started chilly this morning, probably the coldest it has been in a few weeks. The turkeys started gobbling earlier & more than what I heard on Thursday and last weekend. It sounded like a group of gobblers was roosted in about the same general area.  I'd hear one gobble, then another bird would double gobble over top of him and another would fire up on top of that.  It was music to my ears!  None sounded as close as I would have liked, or seemed to be roosted in the area they had been in the past few weeks.  It got quiet for a time & I figured they were already on the ground.  At 7:05 I heard one gobble that sounded louder than the rest.  I quickly cutt & yelped back to him, which he answered before I got through with the calling sequence.  He gobbled again & I stayed quiet, letting him stew a bit.  The next time he gobbled, he was closer.  This time with a diaphram, I threw a few more cutts & a few yelps away from the direction he was coming to make it sound like the hen was heading towards the bottom.  He gobbled back instantly.  I got the gun up & got ready to shoot.  I was talking on the radio to E.P. who had barely heard his last two gobbles, when the sound of spitting & drumming came from over my left shoulder.  Two minutes after that, I saw a black blob easing toward the front of where I was set up.  He went into strut and walked along looking for the source of the calls.  When he got up beside me, he looked my way, but continued on.  He passed about 7 yards to my left.  There was only one tree big enough to obstruct his view so I could move the gun on him and I had to wait & hope he'd go behind it. Just before he got to the tree, he came out of strut, threw his periscope head up and looked my way.  I think I was breathing through my ears.  He went back into strut and crossed behind the big (big enough anyway) tree.  I could see his fan out both sides of the tree.  He spun a quarter turn and went into half strut, exposing his head out one side of the tree.  I rolled him @ 11 yards. It was 7:20.  I broke in my new vest the right way.

I'm guessing he is a two year old bird. He has an exceptionally long beard (12 inches!) and weighed 19 lbs. 2 oz., plus had spur length of 1 inch on the right and 14/16ths on the left that was blunted.

E.P. asked me over the radio to come over and call for him once I stashed my bird at the cabin.  He decided to move from one blind to a new blind I dug into a small sand bank about 15 yards South where he could get a little better vantage point of where the old logging road & powerlines cross.  I took the place he had been hunting at the oldest brush blind on the property that is now getting overgrown with honeysuckle. After letting things cool down for about 45 minutes, I threw out some cutts and a few yelps. Nothing.  About ten minutes later, I caught movement to my right and another gobbler was easing out to the opening.  I instantly told E.P. over the radio and the bird hung in the shadows about 10 yards to my right. He was just sort of milling about.  He did not strut or spit & drum and his body language said he was kind of nervous.  He ended up moseying up into the planted pines, toward one of the food plots, and then sprinted onto the neighboring property when activity a ways up the powerlines frightened him.  He never knew we were there or how close he came to dying.  E.P. never had a clear shot and I did not even have my gun loaded, as we only get two tags here.

I left E.P. who moved to another blind for this afternoon's hunt, as I had a turkey to clean.

Jim

Luck Counts, good or bad

kenturkey89

RE: 4-10-10 Jim's N.C. Opening Day

Postby kenturkey89 » April 10th, 2010, 2:54 pm

Great bird and great story! Congrats Jim!

wtonker

Postby wtonker » April 10th, 2010, 3:52 pm

Thanks for the story and the pic. Jim. Good times on opening day. Congrats!

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » April 10th, 2010, 5:51 pm

Smile a little Jim that a nice bird [:)]
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

Kawboy888

Postby Kawboy888 » April 10th, 2010, 8:13 pm

Congrats Jim, great looking bird and thanks for the story!
Rich Leathers
Leathers Archery
"Instruments of Mass Destruction"

NYSuperSportsman

Postby NYSuperSportsman » April 11th, 2010, 4:48 am

Beautiful bird!! Congrats

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » April 11th, 2010, 10:20 am

Congrats. Jim that is a good bird he sure does have a necktie on him. Man that was a good story too ya had me on the edge of the chair until you pulled the trigger thats a job well done. Good Luck filling that second tag sounds like you have a good amount of birds on the lease this year.
Jon [;)][:D][:D]
Turkeybuster

Longbeards

Postby Longbeards » April 11th, 2010, 5:21 pm

What a beautiful bird Jim. What a thrill it is after you have em flopping to have one that close. I can tell you it feels like your heart is about to beat out of your chest when you have one at 20 yards but having to wait to shoot one at 11 yards is border line cardiac arrest. Great bird, man what a paintbrush he has. Best of luck on filling your tag this year.

rob

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » April 12th, 2010, 5:56 am

Great Job Jim. thats a beautiful bird. Hope you fill your 2nd tag with a monster. Good luck dude.[:D][:D]
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

dewey

Postby dewey » April 12th, 2010, 9:25 am

Way to go Jim and good luck with the next victim.[:D]

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Next

Return to Photo Gallery • Post your hunting photos!