2nd CT tag filled...did battle with the "Soggy Bottom Boys"

How was your last hunt? Let's see!
Matt Raymond

2nd CT tag filled...did battle with the "Soggy Bottom Boys"

Postby Matt Raymond » May 3rd, 2010, 11:18 am

Hey Guys,

As my title says I filled my 2nd tag in CT this morning. Got into the woods a little later than I would have liked to but had to drop the kids off at school. They did, however, get a kick out of me bringing them in my Mossy Oaks...Got into one spot I hunt and it was raining pretty hard, and had been most of the night. I figured I was gonna get wet so I just accepted it and headed in, and if anything, I might learn a thing or two about hunting in the rain. Did some calling in the rain while on the move and attempted to strike some gobblers...nothing. Thought I'd just try to find a decent set up, and did and hunkered in. I yelped and cut for the better part of 1 1/2 hrs. By then I was soaking wet and my gear weighed an extra 10 lbs it seemed. Before I left the area, I decided to switch up my call and went from the mouth call that I bagged "Silent Jake" with on the 1st, to the wingbone yelper that I had made from "Silent Jake's" wingbones. I was yelping away on that thing and just remembering my previous hunt and how much fun it was to make that yelper. The thing sounds good when you get it right but most of the time I sound like Bobby Brady when he hit puberty. So I got a few chuckles and made my way back up the steep incline to the rise I usually set up on. I stopped at the top to catch my breath and hit the wingbone one more time for good measure.....a faint gobble just as the rain was starting to let up and I could hear better. I quickly looked for a decent set-up, found one, but was still skeptical about that gobble. I switched back to the mouth call and BOOM...at least 3 gobbler's hammered back in nearly the exact spot that I'd been calling from for the past hour. I thought to myself "I'm glad I not down there any more because the snuck in tight lipped." I let the group of gobbler's, now known as "The Soggy Bottom Boys" sweat it out in silence for a bit while I scanned the edges of my area. After a few minutes I sent two or three cuts and a few soft yelps in their direction and they all hammered back at about 30 yards away, but below me and out of sight...they were coming up the very incline that winded me before. As soon as they all gobbled I gave out one peep to keep them interested and the lead bird came into view at less than 20 yards, perfect, head up and looking hard. Knowing what my gun was capable of from the day before at about 40 yards, I let him have it with confidence today, and he dropped. I understand why they call it a "Jelly Head" choke! He came in at 16lbs with a 5 inch beard and slightly bigger spurs than my last one, but they weren't sharp yet. Another good 1 year old bird to hone my skills and woodsmanship on.

I'm not sure how much it made a difference this hunt but I'd like to give some of the credit to old "Silent Jake" and his sweet sounding yelper...thanks ...

WillowRidgeCalls

RE: 2nd CT tag filled...did battle with the "Soggy Bottom Boys"

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 3rd, 2010, 4:31 pm

Congrats on no.2
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » May 6th, 2010, 2:23 pm

Congrats. on a good bird.
Jon
Turkeybuster

STEROIDCHICKEN

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » May 7th, 2010, 4:47 am

congrats on #2 bird....great job.
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventure Prostaff and Cameraman

Matt Raymond

Postby Matt Raymond » May 7th, 2010, 11:10 am

It's been 4 days since I've been hunting....can't wait until Monday....Aghhhhh

BigBuckeye

Postby BigBuckeye » May 7th, 2010, 11:18 am

Great story, congrats on the birds!!
I can't get any sleep!!!

Arnie

Return to Photo Gallery • Post your hunting photos!