ANOTHER gobbler with my homemade call...

How was your last hunt? Let's see!
Everyday Hunter

ANOTHER gobbler with my homemade call...

Postby Everyday Hunter » May 27th, 2011, 8:06 am

Another gobbler falls to the Northern Scratchbox! My buddy went out last evening, worked this gobbler, and almost got him, but  the bird turned and went to roost. We showed up this morning at about 5:00, and set up on opposite sides of a strip of woods. At 5:37, the bird gobbled, and we had misjudged where he'd be. He was about 60 yards away, behind me and off my left shoulder, but his roost tree was only about 10 yards from my buddy. At about 5:45, I scratched out a faint tree call on my Northern Scratchbox. That was enough to get his attention, and all he needed to come looking.

When he flew down he was behind me. I probably should have stood up, turned around, and waited for him, but I elected not to move. He came to me along the edge of the field to my right. I had to turn without spooking him, and the shot was difficult. I shot him at 5:55, about 35 yards away. It didn't kill him, but I waited for my buddy to arrive and we succeeded in chasing him down.

This was the companion gobbler to the one I shot last Saturday. He weighed 19 pounds, had a 10" beard, and a 3/4" spur. (The tip of the other spur was broken off.) A nice 2-year old. He was the dominant bird there, with the feathers worn off his breastbone and a big callous from breeding.

Steve  
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

retranger

RE: ANOTHER gobbler with my homemade call...

Postby retranger » May 27th, 2011, 8:23 am

Nice bird!!! I Apparently yu did right by not getting up!!! I have made some of the scratch calls also but not as nice looking. What kind of wood did you use?
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » May 27th, 2011, 8:32 am

ORIGINAL: retranger

Nice bird!!! I Apparently yu did right by not getting up!!! I have made some of the scratch calls also but not as nice looking. What kind of wood did you use?

I probably would have been better off by standing up and turning around, but there was always the chance that he was close enough to see me do that, so that's why I chose to stay put. The shot was at my extreme right, difficult for a right-hander. But it worked out OK.

The body of that call is made from zebrawood, and the soundboard is cedar. I'll be making most of them from cherry off my uncle's farm, and some from "nearly spalted" maple. The soundboards will be cedar, butternut, or walnut.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

BluMtnGobbler

Postby BluMtnGobbler » May 27th, 2011, 9:56 am

Steve, Congrats on anotherfine bird. Seems like you have a killer call there.
Brian

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » May 27th, 2011, 10:58 am

Congrats, Steve! I love the looks of your call and from the successful results you've had, it must talk turkey pretty well[;)]
Brian

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » May 27th, 2011, 3:07 pm

ORIGINAL: kenturkey89

Congrats, Steve! I love the looks of your call and from the successful results you've had, it must talk turkey pretty well[;)]

Thanks. I think it does. I gave one to my buddy's wife, and she called in her first longbeard with it last week.

Steve

Ruttinbull

Postby Ruttinbull » May 27th, 2011, 4:58 pm

Nothing but respect.... love the handmade, homemade stuff.... not taking anything away from anyone else... its just what I like.

Congrats to you!

Randy

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » May 28th, 2011, 11:35 am

Congrats. Steve thats another nice bird, good way to finish up the season.

Jon
Turkeybuster

Return to Photo Gallery • Post your hunting photos!