Vintage photos

How was your last hunt? Let's see!
JW

Vintage photos

Postby JW » July 1st, 2009, 5:38 pm

Reading Everyday Hunters 1st bird thread got me thinking about this. He posted an old photo of him and his bird. I love those old pictures. They take us back to a much simpler time. No turkey vests, decoys, matching camos, magnum shotguns, etc.

So lets post some of those old photos that take us back a few years to a different time. Even if they aren't exclusively turkey pics, they will still be fun to look at.

Alright boys, lets see 'em!

Dcoleinpa

RE: Vintage photos

Postby Dcoleinpa » July 2nd, 2009, 2:40 am

good idea im too youngthough!! lets see some photos!

PALongspur

Postby PALongspur » June 26th, 2010, 1:53 am

Bump

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » July 5th, 2010, 8:38 am

I think about it I've seen that exact scenic backdrop at an Olin Mills Photo Studio
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » July 5th, 2010, 3:41 pm

Here's one that's not exactly a turkey picture from the mid-1980s of me with a buck I finally managed to get after hunting him for months. He was on public land and many people had seen him at night. I saw him in velvet in July running with a couple other good bucks. I saw him on the opening day of bow season running with another 10 point. Both were in velvet and they passed about 55 yards away. I wasn't going to risk taking a bad shot. I saw him again later in September and again in October still too far to shoot. During the first week of the rifle season I heard that a big buck had been hit by a vehicle near where this guy was hanging out & figured it was him. We had a heavy rain come through during Thanksgiving, so I put on camo chest waders and a rain parka and started slipping through the overgrown fields where the deer liked to bed during bad weather on that same piece of land. I caught movement about 20 feet in front of me and had a doe stand up and shake the rain off. She didn't know what I was, but knew I hadn't been there when she bedded down. She didn't run, though she put some distance between us. As soon as she started moving a half-dozen other does stood up and eased off behind her. I kept waiting for a buck to show. When one didn't, I backed out to the road that ran the length of the peninsula and saw a set of buck tracks that had crossed behind where I went in. He had been in the thick off the edge of the field. I gave it 30 minutes and started following his tracks. He got back up behind that group of does and they all crossed at a small bend in the road not far from my opening day archery stand. Since It was public land I had taken the stand with me each time I hunted and took out the bottom four steps so i didn't have to do the entire process each time I hunted there. I cleared the trail to the stand tree and checked the bright eyes tacks I used to mark my trail. Since doe days was coming (it was only legal to shoot does with a firearm on 3 days in the first week of December in gun season at the time), I knew other hunters would probably be in there on foot and I could use them to push the deer out that escape route at the bend in the road.

I got a ride to that land because many people around the area knew my truck and I didn't want to tip my hand on where I was hunting by parking where others could easily see it. On the way in I cut on my flashlight at the edge of where the woods got thick to find my bright eyes trail tacks. As soon as I turned my light on, a flashlight shone back at another hunter from the base of my tree. He had followed my markers in and was in spot I intended to hunt %#@$*!!!. I backed out to the road and found a pine big enough to climb where I could watch the trail to the bend in the road. Since the guy who was standing at the base of my tree was on the ground, the deer were probably going to catch his scent and not get close to him. Sure enough three guys came walking down the road at dawn followed by another pair 20 minutes later. In the distance toward the end of the peninsula, I heard shouting but no shots. About 7:45 I saw this buck trailing a doe through the thicket. They were going to pass just in front of me on the way to the crossing at the bend. I shot the buck and dropped him where he stood and as fast as I could work the bolt, I shot the doe.

I hollered at the top of my lungs when I saw him. The other hunters started walking up and were amazed by how big he was. His rack had 11-2/8ths inches of deductions and still managed to score in the high 140s. Not giant as far a bucks go, but way above average for N.C., especially on public land. I am tickled to have gotten him after so many tries.

Jim

Luck Counts, good or bad

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » July 6th, 2010, 7:32 am

Jim,

Thats an exceptional buck in anybody's book. Very good looking deer!!
ACME PRO STAFF

eggshell

Postby eggshell » July 7th, 2010, 5:25 am

Ok I know I'll regret this, but here are some older photos of my early hunting and fishing days from the late 60s into the 70s. I have several older ones, but they are on slides and I am too lazy to set up a projector and photograph them. Before turkey hunting trotlining Flathead catfish was my passion, I got a few nice ones. Hey Bobby Parks, check out the hair on this dude!

shad309

Postby shad309 » July 7th, 2010, 5:31 am

Nice catfish! Is that a double bearded gobbler?

eggshell

Postby eggshell » July 7th, 2010, 5:45 am

Yes it is..one of my best ever. He weighed 21.5 lbs; beards 11.5 and 9 and thick; 1 3/8 spurs. A buddy of mine chased him for three years and wouldn't tell me where. I had a guy stop in one day and he noticed a mounted fan i had and said hey I got turkeys on my farm, you can hunt if you want. So come spring I took him up on the offer. The first time I hunted the farm was a late morning stop on my way to work. The bird answered right off the ridge point and 10 minutes later was strutting at 15 yards. When my buddy saw him he said I been chasing a double bearded bird like that this morning. I told Him I got it off the Knipp farm in Pike county and his face went blank. His next comment was "your s%$##*NG me right". I said no Mr Knipp invited me to hunt. He then confessed he had been hunting the neighbors farm and this bird had drove him nuts moving to the next farm. I felt bad, but not that bad, hee heee. He should not have been so secretive, I would have never went if I knew it was his turf.

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » July 7th, 2010, 11:47 am

Technically it appears one side is slightly shorter than the other which is a deduction in the Boone & Crocket System and you're close to being a non-typical

Actually all in all you get a good score on the hair if this was in the late 60's as some peoplpe took more time to become "non-conformist"

If it was into the 70's....well you get a "C-"[:)]

The catfish are impressive and score well regardless of whhhhhether it's the 60's or 70's

Seriously...you've been a true outdoorsman for a long time buddy...good photos
ACME PRO STAFF

Next

Return to Photo Gallery • Post your hunting photos!